29 - Autumn

We go down to the lower levels of the building we are trapped in. Dylan is in a cage behind me, being brought along just so he can be sacrificed.

As we reach the indoor zoo like area where there are tons of different creatures and demons living in cells like tigers would live in in a zoo. The creature I see has antlers on its head and huge, black eyes that pierce your soul. The demon has gray skin and long, talon-like claws. It looks up at me, and I realize this thing is a wendigo.

Wendigo are creatures from folklore, and they're known to eat people. They were cannibals in life, and in death, they are in the same condition, only as a cursed demon with an insatiable hunger for flesh.

We stop in front of the wendigo pen. He looks at us, not even interested in us. The guards open the door to Dylan's cage. He struggles against them, and I run towards him, only for more guards to hold me back, and I watch, helpless, as they throw Dylan into the pen with the wendigo.

"No!" I scream, running in place as I try to get free of the people holding me.

"Calm down, girl," sneers one guard.

"Dylan!" I cry, thrashing as they hold me down.

Then, there is a loud noise, like a scream, and then the wendigo walks towards Dylan. He looks at it with a look of resignation. He doesn't say anything as the wendigo lurks closer to him, coming within a few feet of him.

Then the demon lunges, but then, a flash of silvery light blasts up as the wendigo falls back, impaled on a spike of ice. Dylan stares at his hands in shock, the creature's blood on his hands.

Is it dead?

"Fine. I'll do it myself."

I look at Elekai as she appears in our group. She smiles at me. Then a blade made of shadows appears in her hand, and she turns around and lunges off into the pen. She then advances on him, and as he turns to look at her, she stabs him in the chest.

I feel something in me shift. Something in me just ... snaps. Breaks.

I close my eyes, and when I open them again, my eyes begin to glow. I look at Elekai, and darkness swirls around her, closing in like veins made of shadows, and she screams, dropping to her knees. The guards gasp as my newfound power slams into them.

They fall back and scramble to try and get away from me. Away from the pain I am inflicting on them. Away from my new powers.

I run over to Dylan, pulling him back into the safe area, away from Elekai who is screaming with rage as she tries to heal from the pain I'm inflicting on her. Too bad for her that she cannot heal from pain.

Dylan falls to the floor and looks up at me. "I need blood."

I swear under my breath and go to his side. He stops me as I get ready for him to drink my blood. I give him a skeptical look, and he shakes his head.

"You've given enough," he says. "We'll find another way."

Then, there's a loud screaming noise, and I look up as Zeke appears in one of the pens, holding his blazing white sword. He brings it down, cutting a demon in half. Zeke turns around and lashes out at the wraiths that were lurking near him, their black, smoky forms silhouetted in the light of his sword.

"He sure knows how to make an entrance," Dylan mutters sarcastically.

I smile at him, and then look back as Zeke walks over to us and helps Dylan stand up.

"We gotta go," he says. "Now."

"Emma and Arlo?" I ask him.

He grabs both me and Dylan's hands, and there's a flash of white light, and then, we are standing in the backyard of his house. Dylan and I stumble back from him, and I sense something else stirring. Something dangerous.

"Do you sense that?" Zeke asks.

Dylan and I nod. We all go on alert. The shadows move, and when we look, I see a figure moving towards us. The figure stops walking and steps into my line of sight. She has long, golden hair, amber eyes, fair skin, and virtually no flaws. She is tall and has a pair of bat-like wings from her back. She just stands tall, looking at us.

I see her pointed ears, her sharp features, and the look in her eyes. She is a faerie? I didn't think those were real. But I guess when vampires were made real and became a threat. The faerie looks at us with a look of neutrality.

"Who are you?" Zeke asks.

"I am Freya. And I am here to help you get away from those people who want you dead."

"No thanks, we're fine without you," says Zeke.

I look at Dylan, then back to Freya. "Come with us, help us get Arlo and Emma back and help us."

She nods. "Where do we begin?"