34 - Dylan

Dylan, Autumn, Arlo, and Freya hide in a warehouse somewhere in a town called Westborrow Falls. Dylan is barely awake, as the sun has not yet set, but Arlo and Autumn are both fast asleep. Freya is sharpening her knives by the window up high in the upper levels, and Dylan is focused on the sound of Autumn's breathing.

Autumn lays on her side, her auburn hair pooled around her head like a pillow, her pale skin is very flushed from the hunger and thirst, but other than that, she looks very peaceful and calm in her sleep.

Dylan looks at her, then over to Arlo. He wonders if she will ever recover from what happened to Emma. Probably not. But it isn't like he blames her. He supposes that if this had happened to Autumn .... he'd probably react similarly.

He looks over at Autumn, and realizes with certainty that if anything had happened to her, he'd lose it too.

He gets up and paces, blinking hard as the sleep leaves him. There's a fog in his mind, and it is mainly because of the sun. All vampires are opposed to the sun. And when it is out, they are weaker.

Suddenly, Freya swears and jumps down from her area, flying down the stairs.

"Dylan! Get the girls. Hes here."

"Zeke?"

She nods.

"You wake them up," he says. "I have an idea."

"What?"

"You'll find out," Dylan answers.

He runs to the other side of the warehouse, and, coincidentally, that is where Zeke was entering. His sword is slung over his shoulder, covered with red blood. Dylan looks at Zeke, and he smiles.

"I'm sorry, man. I'm not letting you get them," Dylan says.

"You're going to stop me? All I have to do is drag you outside, and the sun will do the rest."

"Vampires don't turn to ash in the sun, you know. Not unless they're really hurt, or other circumstances."

"Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that."

"What?"

Zeke suddenly swipes his sword at Dylan's chest, and Dylan stumbles back. He looks at Zeke, trying to avoid the blade, but then, the blade strikes him in the leg, knocking him down. Dylan cries out in pain, and ice explodes from his body, curling around the sword, but also freezing over his stab wound so it doesn't bleed as bad.

Dylan falls down, and then, his vision goes black, and he hears Autumn scream.