53 - Autumn

I sip from my blood-laced wine (I borrowed some sangria wine from Freya, and poured some blood in my cup) and close my eyes. I love the taste of them mixed together. Arlo paces, looking at her phone. Emma is asleep, and Dylan and Freya are out with Naomi, looking for something. What? I honestly don't know.

I'm admittedly worried about Dylan's refusal to Imprint early. I mean, I know I back him wanting to wait, but still. I worry about what could happen to him or I in the meantime.

Arlo sits down beside me and takes a swig of wine. She looks at me, her blue eyes bright. She lightly taps the rim of the cup, and hums under her breath, like she always does when she's deep in thought.

"Maybe he doesn't want to become Imprinted with you at the moment because it doesn't feel right yet," she says. "Like it isn't the right time. That's all. Don't worry too much about it. Now, as for what Naomi said .... to be honest, that hasn't happened yet, so why would it happen at all?"

"Arlo, that is a shit way to look at things," I tease her. "I mean, it is going to happen even if it hasn't happened yet. You know what I mean?"

She nods slowly. "Hmm, well, maybe you should invest in a protective charm."

"A what?"

"You heard me," she says. "A protective charm will keep you safer, or at least offer you some semblance of peace of mind."

I shrug. "Maybe."

She stands up. "I'm gonna head out. Wanna come along?"

"I might just go for a walk," I say.

She nods. "Suit yourself."

A couple minutes pass, and then I get up and walk over to the back door and I walk down the darkened streets, just wanting to get some fresh air.

As I walk down the street, trying to get my thoughts in order, I hear something. I turn around, and see, of all people, Gabriel standing there, looking murderous as ever. I tense and feel my shadows stir inside me. He smiles, as if he can tell.

"Hello, girly." He suddenly is right in front of me. He grabs hold of my arm, holding tight. I flinch and my shadows react in turn by swarming around me and him, covering my skin with their inky forms.

"Let me go," I growl.

He smiles again. "You really think I'm listening to you? After all the shit you put me through? Ha!"

"What the hell did I put you through?! You're the psycho after Arlo and Emma!"

He snarls. "You'd be wise to shut the fuck up, Autumn."

"Or what?" I growl. "What will you do, Gabriel?! You have nothing on me." I unleash my shadows, watching them wrap around his body and pull him to his knees on the ground. He releases me, and I turn and run.

"Yes, run while you can, coward!"

I don't rise to his bait, instead, I keep running. I run and run until I finally reach my home, and I quickly slip inside without being followed by Gabriel.

I find myself back in the apartment I share with my friends, and when I get inside the room, I'm confronted with Freya and Arlo and Emma. No sign of Dylan.

"Hey," I say, feeling miserable. "Uh, where's Dylan? I need to talk to him."

Freya and Emma look at each other, then me.

"He wasn't with you?"

"No. Why would he be? He was with you and Naomi."

"No he wasn't," Freya says. "He said he was staying with you girls."

I look at them, wondering what the hell is going on. Why would Dylan say he was going to be here, if he wasn't going to be here? I step back away from Freya, and I turn to look at the door.

"When was the last time you saw him?" I ask.

"I think this morning," Freya says. "Uh, sorry. Night."

"I'm gonna go look for him."

"Alone?" Arlo asks.

"If that is so, yes. Dylan is my best friend, if I let him disappear .... " I let myself trail off.

Emma takes Arlo's hand. "I understand."

I nod and turn around, and leave the apartment, heading off to search for Dylan.