21 - Autumn

When we get home, in Zeke's home, I mean, Zeke reveals to us his secret. He is, in fact, an angel. One of the few left in the world. He tells us about how he was in the Angelic Wars and he fought against demons. He tells us how his lover, an angel named Kaizel was killed by the demons they were fighting, and when Zeke saw that, he went nuts and killed everything in sight, including his brother.

He didn't mean to,  but he was cast out of the army. But then, he went to earth and decided to live as a human for a couple hundred years.

He tells us about why he chose to help us, because he was told to. Told to? By whom? Well, that, unfortunately, he won't tell us.

Now, Dylan and I sit on the bench in the back of the garden, and Emma and Arlo and Zeke are all in the house, resting. It is dusk now, and the sky is tinged pink as the moon settles on the horizon. We are in the back of the garden, where a fire pit sits in front of us, with a small flame flickering on the center of the fire pit.

Dylan sits beside me, and looks at me, his brown eyes glowing gold in the firelight. He smiles a little, and I feel like I am turning to jelly at the sight of it. He and I have only gotten closer in the days following our escape from the place we were held.

Im not sure how long before they will come back to find us, but at least  for now, we are safe. For now, nothing can touch us. And soon, we will return to Viiros. Zeke told us he's going to join us, but just not tell anyone who he really is. Probably a good idea, because he is not looking forward to getting killed by a bunch of angry vampires.

"What are you thinking about?" Dylan asks me.

I look up from the ground in front of the fire to meet those really pretty, seemingly golden eyes of his. He looks tired tonight, and I wonder if he's had nightmares. Because I have.

"I'm wondering if you have been having nightmares like me, if you can't sleep most days too, but because of that."

He nods. "I do have nightmares. You do too?"

"Yes," I say.

He sighs. "What are yours about?"

"Mine are about seeing all of you guys dying," I say. "And sometimes, I can't stop them ... sometimes, I cause them."

Dylan suddenly hugs me. I can't handle holding back my tears anymore. They fall down my face freely and as I cry against Dylan, I feel like his body is shaking slightly too. Is he crying? Why?

"Dylan? Are you okay?" I ask him.

He pulls away from me and nods, but his face is splotchy and red, and his pale skin is flushed. He has been crying. I swallow the fear in me and look at him again.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."

"No, you didn't," he says. "Really. I promise, it is something else."

"Something else? What?" I ask.

He suddenly kisses my forehead. I look at him, confused.

"I just ... is it okay ... if we uh..."

He wants to kiss, I realize. That is what is wrong? What?

"Do you want to kiss?" I ask him.

He nods. I smile at him and he smiles too.

Then, we lean forward and kiss each other on the lips, but then, I feel something weird. Almost like we are being watched.

He breaks the kiss to take a breath and I say to him, "We're being watched." He stops inches from me and turns, looking into the woods behind us. I turn and look too, but I don't see anyone.

"I swear I felt like we were being watched," I say.

Dylan nods. "I did too."

Then, we hear a snap of a twig in the woods, and I stand up.

"Who is there?" I demand.

"Me." A female voice says. "Follow the sound of my voice. Trust me, you'll want to see this."