41 - ????

He watches them as they arrive at Bluewater, the Fae settlement he has been watching for weeks now. He's been looking for anyone who has the Gift of magic. He's one of the Gifted, and his ability makes him able to decipher what kind of gift the other people have.

As he stands among the shadows, watching as a Fae girl with bronze hair, large bat-like wings, and four vampires, three girls, one boy who is taller than the others. One girl has short, brown hair and wears a yellow coat and blue jeans. The girl holding her hand has blonde hair, cut long and straight, and she wears a black skirt and a red tee shirt. The third vampire girl is shorter than the first two, with auburn hair and she wears a purple and blue shirt and gray pants.

The scent of fear and poisonous essence is on the wind. Poisonous essence usually has an acrid scent to it, like it is burning your lungs. He then scents blood, and when he looks behind him, he sees one of his partners sitting in the weeds behind him, crouched low and not moving, so as to not be seen.

Where is the blood scent coming from?

He looks all around the area, but does not see anything. Shaking his head, he taps on his advanced watch and taps out a quick message.

M, follow the vamps into Blue.

He and Mitchell trade places, and then he vanishes into the shadows of the night, and Mitchell follows after the vampires.

As he walks through the small town of Riverflow, through the streets of the town, tracking the scent of blood on the wind. Mitchell, his Third in Charge, is handling the mysterious poisoned vampires. Imogen, his Second, is dealing with another mission entirely. She is facing angels.

He turns his attention back to the scent of blood, and he stops when the scent gets strongest. Turning around, he is brought face-to-face with a girl. She has long, golden hair that is caked in dirt and dried blood. Her gray dress is torn and bloody.

The girl presses her bloody finger to her lips, then turns and runs down an alley. Confused, he follows her lead. The girl leads him down the alley, around a corner, and down two separate streets.

When they reach Celadon Avenue, he sees the girl slip inside a house, more like a run-down shack.  He follows the girl into the shack, and is confronted by a dark and hot room, filled with trash and various other things he can't discern in the dark.

Then the girl stops at the foot of a bed in the back of the house, and he sees her mother, laying broken in her bed, barely alive. The woman lays still, but when she opens her eyes, shocking him that she is even alive, she starts to almost panic.

"Get him out, girl! He will do nothing but ruin us!"

The girl looks at him. Then back to her mother.

"I need you, Mother. And you're dying. Please, let him help you!"

"No," she says. "Make him leave."

"I can help," he says.

The woman looks at him skeptically. "How?"

He draws his sword and slashes her throat. The girl screams and he turns to her, looking away from his victim's corpse. He smirks at the girl and she starts to cry.

"Now you know, never trust anyone, kid," he says.

He vanishes from there, finding Nick and Cole standing in the shadows around the entrance to the Faerie stronghold. Cole looks at him.

"Where did you go?"

"Nowhere of consequence. But hey, did Mitchell even get into the faerie land?" he asks.

Cole and Nick look at each other.

"Yes," Nick says. "But I don't know how long he's gonna be able to stay there."

"Why?"

"They're doing the Kalabai ritual."

He smiles. "What better way to get new Gifted for our army."

Nick and Cole smile.

"How exactly are we going to get them isolated long enough when the two of them are chained together with an enchanted chain?" Nick asks.

"Don't isolate the two vampires bound together. You can't. But you know, it will be easy for us. After all, we cannot be stopped."

"The perks of being us," Cole says.

"Indeed."