66 - Autumn

It takes me until midnight to reach an old military building painted white, one that branches off in all directions with long, boxy halls. No doubt once a lab or something else military related.

I walk up closer to the building, looking all around me. There is no sign of any guards. But this is where Dylan is. And I am so close to him now that I can sense exactly what he's thinking.

Zeke has him. My heartbeat skips, and I feel Dylan's attention turn to me. I'm in the trees, watching this place.

Finally, I get down from the tree and slip into the building through  one of the doors in the side. I walk down the hall at a quick pace, but balance myself so I am silent and make no sound as I approach the area where I sense Dylan's thoughts from.

I stop when I reach a corner and peer around the corner, seeing Zeke standing in the hall around the corner, holding his sword.

"I know you're there, Autumn," he says.

I don't move. I don't speak, I just remain still and silent as I try to calm my pounding heart.  My fear isn't the only fear I now have to live with, though. And then, I can't move. I look around, trying to figure out which way I should run. But then, as my own heartbeat and Dylan's are all I can hear, I'm shocked when an icy hand clamps down on my arm.

I cry out, turning and twisting to try and escape them. But Zeke then pushes me against the wall. Zeke smiles, showing his bloody teeth at me. I struggle against his grip until he places the sword of his against my neck. He is enjoying this.

"You are going to die," he says.

"No, no, I'm not," I say. I kick him in the groin and he cries out, dropping his sword. I catch it and slice him across the chest. He screams and bright gold blood pours from his chest wound.

"You bitch!" he screams.

I laugh. "I'm the bitch? Really?"

Then he runs at me, screaming with rage, and I throw my hands up, blocking him, and my shadows react, slithering up my arms and legs, making my tattoo glow. I thrust my hands at Zeke, and he's thrown back against the opposite wall. Gold blood smears the white wall, and his scent is all over.

That's when I realize that I am very, very thirsty now. I don't think that the deer blood is very good to quench my thirst. I walk closer to him, my attention on his golden blood.

"You can't resist it, can you? The call of my blood," he says.

"You're repulsive," I tell him. "Truly. But I will admit, that I am indeed feeling inclined to feed from you."

He laughs. "What would poor Dylan think if he could hear you now, you traitorous whench."

"Bite me," I hiss.

"You are pathetic," he snarls. "Weak. And I've outgrown you."

Suddenly, the ground opens up beneath my feet, and I am thrown off and onto my back. He jumps up faster than I thought possible, and he grabs ahold of me and pushes me against the wall again.

"You are such a freak," he snarls. "So why don't you just go disappear for a while."

"Wow. You're creative," i say sarcastically.

He smirks. "You really ought to be a bit nicer."

"When you are acting like a jerk, I can do that. I can be as pissed off as I can be, since you're an asshole and all."

He slaps the wall behind me. Hard. "You're not going to get away from here."

"I'm sure," I say. "I'm very sure."

He snarls at me again and steps back, looking around. He then looks back at me, his eyes darkening. He then steps closer to me, his hand hovering over my body. He then starts to walk toward the doorway off to the side, and he waves me to follow him.

I do, and he takes me right to where Dylan is, laying down in a hospital bed. He's staring blankly at the wall, and I realize he is drugged up. I run over to him, and put my hand on his arm, but he doesn't even react.

"Dylan? Can you hear me, I'm here?" I ask.

"He can't hear you, he's too far gone," says Zeke.

I turn on him. "Fix this."

He laughs. "Why would I?"

I look down at Dylan, reaching through the weird psychic bond between us. He is fast asleep. Very deep, unable to be brought out of it just by my will alone. I sigh and look at Zeke again.

"Now what do you want?" I ask him.

"Many things. But first, come with me. I have to tell you something."