56 - Autumn

Freya and I walk all over this hidden home of ours, but after a couple days, it's clear he's not here. Where is he? Naomi is helping us, as is Orion, her mate. And now, we have to move, because Zeke will no doubt be getting closer to us. I hate the idea of potentially leaving Dylan. But since we haven't seen any sign of him in a week, it is doubtful we will find him here.

"You good?" Freya asks me as I get the last of my things from the car and bring them into the mansion Naomi has us set up in in Illyrica. Apparently, we will have to do something to "prove our worth" and be accepted into the community. I don't know what it is, but I've heard that it can vary in intensity.

Illyrica is a safe haven for those lost and needing home and safety away from humans. And now, the Elders want to see something from each of us to prove that we are vampires and whatever we are supposed to be.

"Sure," I say.

"Don't lie," she snaps.

"Fine," I say. "I'm not. I'm scared. What do the Elders mean when they say it can vary in intensity?"

She sighs. "You aren't really freaked out about this, are you. You're still obsessing over your missing best friend."

"Wow, at least I care about what happens to Dylan. I'm just trying to bring him home, that's all."

"Okay. Well, they mean that the tests that they put us into will be of varying levels of difficulty. You never know what your trial will be until the Elders decide it."

"Autumn? Its your turn," says a man with black and gray robes. "Your turn to be tested."

I look at Freya, her vibrant blue and green eyes shine in the lighting of the room. She nods, and I give her a brief hug before following the Elder man.

They bring me to a rundown building in the corner of the city, and the next thing I know, I'm inside the building itself.

Disoriented, I stumble around through the darkened rooms of the house, and I wait for my eyes to adjust to the dimness. I see a woman wearing black and gray robes, leaning heavily on a cane, and she draws in the dirt on the floor. The woman does not look at me as I approach her.

"Hello? Is this part of my test?" I ask her.

She looks at me. Her eyes are black and watch me closely, and her dark gray hair looks messy as it covers her face.

"If the Elders brought you here, then maybe it is for the best that you are in here," she says.

"Uh, okay? Um, I am Autumn. Who are you?"

"I am no one. And everyone at once. I'm sorry, but you must ask the right questions. Not the wrong ones. This is your first and last wrong question. Next time you speak, think carefully."

I look at her. Is she serious right now? I am supposed to be doing a test here for the Elders, not asking the right questions to some random old lady. I sigh and clear my head as best I can. Finally, my second priority comes up to the surface of my mind.

"Where is my friend? His name is Dylan and he is really tall, has dark hair and eyes ...." I ask her.

She frowns. "Maybe I have what you seek. But you must be able to find it before you can continue. I will give you only one thing. You are searching for a tree. A very special one. That tree is somewhere here in Illyrica, and that tree will help you find Dylan."

"How will a tree help me find him?" I ask.

She shrugs. "You'll have to find out, won't you." She resumes drawing in the dirt.

I'm looking for a tree. So I guess I should head outside.

I start to walk through the house and out into the backyard. The sky is at dusk, and as I walk to the cluster of dead trees in the backyard, I start to search for anything that will help me. But there is no sign of him anywhere.

I look around for what feels like forever, before the old woman walks out to see me. She rests her hands on top of her cane, and looks at me expectantly.

"Have you heard of Elementals?"

"Yes. They're creatures of the main elements of earth, and sometimes people who are vampires — like me, for instance, are able to manipulate the elements too."

"Good, good," says the lady.

She looks at me for a moment before she raises her hand to the sky. I look up as the tree before me stretches and elongates. And then the bark twists out of the way, revealing the inside of the tree.

"What the?" I whisper as I approach it.

"Don't get too close, girl," she warns.

I stop walking and look at the tree. Its bark has parted like a sea, and I see what looks like a cocoon inside it. Something is very obviously in there, and I can't tell what it is.

Then, the bark returns to normal, and I turn around and look at the woman. "You told me this would help me find Dylan."

"It has," she says.

"What? No. No, it hasn't. Come on, please just tell me where he is."

"No. That's not your test. Girl, you have to find him. That is your trial."

I sigh. "I could do that easier if you tell me where he is!"

"I cannot," she says. "I can't. Okay? I must keep trying to get you to figure out where he is on your own. Come on, Autumn. You can do this."