Chapter 50

NICK

Lots of people spilling into the house which I have to admit, there were a lot more people than I thought there would. Strange faces everywhere but I just smile, thanking them for coming, apparently they are also the friends of my friends which means I have to accept them all.

Time to time, I browse through my phone hoping to see a new message from Melanie but her last message was the time she would be arriving because she's busy with work tonight with Rubsy. I sent her a message asking her if she skip for today but as Melanie normally is, she doesn't even reply to my text, I guess she must be really busy.

Some days back, Clarissa and I planned on lounging our parents in a hotel this night—telling them the most common reason ever and that was telling them to take a night off alone, just them but my aunty obviously didn't buy that so here she is partying with my classmates as though she's still eighteen, honestly she's giving me second hand embarrassment but if she's having the fun of her life, I should let her be.

The music was loud, the games started and everyone was busy having fun. Shuffling through the crowd, I try my best to walk pass people—asking them to excuse was really hard as noone could even hear me, the music is too loud. "Who the hell even chose this music?" I thought, my answer hitting me hard when I remember I'm the one who sent the playlist to the DJ who happened to be one of my guys from the football team.

"Guys, for fuck sake, excuse me." I shout, sighing out loudly—I can't even hear my own voice.

Pushing them out of my way is the only thing I can probably do now and that was what I did to finally get out of the crowd, funny they didn't even care about me pushing them and kept dancing crazily—the power of music.

Now in front of the kitchen door, I push it open, sliding my phone out of my pocket simultaneously. Suddenly I see a boy and a girl in the kitchen having the time of their life, "Really?" I say, not even a single emotion on my face— at this point I don't even know what I haven't seen in this party yet. Soon, they both adjust their clothes, running out of the kitchen quickly.

Bringing my phone up to my face to see if there was a message from Melanie, sadly there was non. I decide to call her but there was she's doesn't pick up. About calling again, the door quickly open...

"Now what's our birthday boy doing in the kitchen?" Turning around quickly, it was only Rosie. "Don't tell me you're hiding." With a bright smile, she walks towards me and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"No, I'm just..." Suddenly, she grabs my hand and took my phone, dropping it down on the kitchen counter.

"We need you out there partying with the guys not inside the kitchen." She says, wearing the gold watch on my wrist.

"I was just trying to call Melanie on my..."

"Oh, Melanie? I already called her like five minutes ago and she actually said she was on her way. Also, she said she would be having a huge surprise for you, maybe that's why she's ignoring you calls, so just chill and relax, you know Melanie, she'd definitely be here.

Again, the kitchen door opens—both of us turning our gaze to the door, it was only Clarissa. From her face, I could tell she was already tired and little fed up. "Your friends need you, I can't handle them any longer."

"Shit, I completely forgot." I quickly thank Rosie for the watch before running out of the kitchen.

MELANIE

Blowing hot air into my freezing hand, I quickly wrap my arms around my body as I hurried up the step to my porch. The house was a little dark than normal, the lights weren't on and I couldn't see a thing from inside the house but this only made me chuckle softly as I excitingly search my bag for my keys. "If the lights are off, Nick must be planning a surprise?" I thought, it's probably a surprise—even though it's literally his birthday, Nick is capable of doing something like that.