Chapter 40

MELANIE

"My mum?!" I jumped up not knowing when I push Nick away, "Shit I'm so sorry."

"Chill." Rubsy spoke up, "I didn't get the door for her. I heard her keys and turned off the screen before running up, leaving everything as they initially were."

Filled with relief, I grab Rubsy arms and pull her in. Shutting the door close, I hope mum didn't hear it.

I stood silent for a moment, then muttered, "We have to go and..." Before saying any more I turn around to see puzzled faces staring at me.

"What?" I shrug.

Quickly I took my bag and hurriedly put it over my shoulder. "Out the window." I tried to grab both of their hands but it was of no luck as they smoothly back away.

"Are you okay?" Nick ask.

"Yes. Yes I'm... I'm fine. I'm good." I chuckle nervously.

"Then why are you acting so irritatingly weird?" I look at Rubsy, her eyes squinted.

"I promise, I will explain everything when we get the hell out of here. " I nodded sure of myself as I point towards the window.

"Oh no. An explanation or we aren't leaving." Rubsy said as she sat on the bed. I look towards Nick, he too seemed like he needed an explanation. I noticed myself getting infuriated but looking at them, I was convinced they didn't care as much till I spoke up.

I sigh loudly, "Alright. Alright, I'll tell you."

"I was initially grounded." I said in a whisper and their eyes shot open. "Oh come on, there's nothing new there." I assured them. "But my mum thinks I went to school this morning... Well to be honest she kinda saw me leave but I just came back up through the window." I chuckle, only finding it awkward when they didn't laugh too.

"So If she sees me here when I'm supposed to be at Nick's house being tutored, I'm going to be in serious deep shit."

"Well well well," Rubsy stands up, clapping her hands. "Why aren't I not surprised?"

Nick step forward, lagging a little, "And all this day I've been thinking I was at fault and busy worrying." Nick said so softly.

"Nick I can ex..."

"Melanie, Is that you?!" I shuddered at my mum voice.

"Shit." I cuss silently as I grab both of their arms, this time they didn't hesitate. "Out, out, out... Be careful though."

Rubsy was the first to slowly climb out. Seeing as she was successfully down, I turn to Nick. Still whispering. "Nick you are next."

But instead he refuses, "You go first, remember ladies first? " He shrugs, smiling lightly.

"Seriously?" I giggled, "This isn't the time for that."

"Then when is?" He simply said.

There was silence. I shook my head smiling to myself, "We're being fools."

"Melanie?" My mum said sounding unsure. Our discussion suddenly drops as we slowly turn our gaze to the door. My heart stood still and my body appeared tensed as the knob moved "Oh yeah the keys." We heard her say. Luckily it was locked.

We heard her footsteps disappearing slowly till we heard them no more.

I turned back to Nick.

"You see? Come on." I whisper, "She still got the keys to this room." Tightening my grip on my bag, I climbed out too.

We ran out into the faint drizzling rain but the more minute it poured, the heavier it got. We quickly place our hands over our head but that didn't stop it from drenching our hair and flowing down our face. The first bus that arrived we entered. We hurriedly got it. Searching for a seat, Rubsy quickly sits next to a boy with blonde hair.