Chapter 41

NICK

I was told to keep my distance from Melanie as far as I could. Three hours has gone by since the incident and all I could do because of the non filed restraining order was pant back and forth the hospital hallway.

Being outside the room didn't make me less nervous, in fact I grew more scared, even the way my veins stood out in my hand assured me that.

What if I had done something wrong without even realizing it?

The nurses hurried out of the room, murmuring to themselves as they walked away. For a second there, they looked calm.

"Don't panic." I say as calmly as I could. Hearing the door open again, I turn to it that I could have almost had a whiplash but it was Melanie's mum and the doctor who... Having a closer look at the doctor now, I could have sworn I've seen her before. I glance at her mum, who blurted out a word to the doctor before noticing me.

"Is she," I pause, looking around for her as though hoping she might just appear, knowing that couldn't be possible I continued, "Is she okay?" I added, only remembering I had not yet greeted her. 

About to, "What are you still doing here?" She ask.

"I wanted to see her." I said hurriedly.

She scoffs, "You wanted to see her?" I was about nodding when she cut me off.

"Didn't I give you enough reasons to leave already!" she spat in the air.

"I'm sorry, I didn't..."

"You didn't what?! Listen!" she shouted. Seeing as her voice triggered everyone, she moves closer to me. "You guys were going to have sex and I was right in that house, just in my room. You think if I had known, I would have let you touch her?" she shakes her head at her question, "Not even a finger on her thighs would I have allowed."

"I..."

She shows me her palm, "I don't want to hear it!"

"Melanie," she gestures to the door, "That girl has been through a lot but she's so strong that sometimes I ask myself who she took after. I've tried my best that she has no reasons to worry... Ever! I don't want to ever see her hurting and anyone, and I mean anyone who ever tries to even hurt her will get it."

I gulp. This wasn't how I wanted things to be.  I opened my mouth to speak, caught her eyes and shut it again.

"Now that I'm asking nicely, you should leave Nick. She's alright, so don't bother caring." Turning back to the doctor, they both walked away.

"Fuck." I cussed silently. Feeling helpless, I quickly close my eyes, raised my head and breathed in gently. At least everything felt still until my phone started blowing up in my pocket again. It was probably mum but I didn't even have the courage to go home knowing that this was all me.

I let out a breath and opened my eyes.

Turning towards the door, I stood there, streaming with sweat, impatiently debating if I should knock on it. I know her mum wanted me gone but I would just be a fool doing that. Cussing again, I knocked.

Waiting for a reply, there was non.

I tried knocking again but still nothing.

"Is she asleep?" I ask myself only thinking my question was a bit silly knowing the kind of person she was. Quickly, I got hold of the door knob and slowly opened the door. The current chilly air, only reminded me how much I hated hospital smell.

"Melanie?" I look towards the bed but no one was on it. About calling her again, I noticed the window was wide opened. Why was it...

Shit!