Chapter 37

MELANIE

Nick's mother informed us that we should be downstairs in a minute. I really thought myself a fool as I stood in a spot pondering if I should go out the window but of what use, it's not like she didn't already see me.

There was absolutely no way.

I glance at his aunty expecting her to speak up, but she did not say anything. With one last look at us...a look of pity, she walked out too. I guess even she knows there's no way we are getting out of this.

Nick stretched out his hand to me. Even with this, his manner was polite. I bit my lip before taking his hand.

Silence.

Too quiet.

Only the large fan hung from the ceiling, whirling at high speed made noise. I tried to drive away from my mind any thought but it was so hard when everywhere was completely quiet. No one was saying anything.

I tried to appear bold as I sat beside Nick at the dining table but the consistent picking of my finger and jerking of my leg assured me, I was very much nervous.

His mother sat opposite us, her gaze not leaving me. Knowing I was in for it now, I look towards his aunty who leaned on the kitchen door, quietly watching us. I kept thinking that just maybe she would say something but I guess not.

As his mother continued to stare at me, I observed her features were regular but her eyes lacked emotions. Her gaze was so strong I had begun to feel awkward but Nick's presence soothed my thoughts. Having a quick glance at the clock, I realized school must have ended by now and I was supposed to be at work.

"So it's no one going to tell me what's happening here?" She asked, breaking the silence.

Her eyes were fixed on me. It's almost like she wanted me to speak.

"I can..." she quickly raises her hand in the air, signaling her sister not to say a word.

"Mum I can..."

"Shh." she said to Nick, her eyes still not leaving mine. "Why don't you speak Melanie?" she smiles.

My heart stood still as I watched her  push up her sleeves, leaning her arms on the table.

"Go on then." she smiles. She spoke so calmly and that at least put my heart at ease. I glance at Nick who was constantly glaring at his mum.

"I," I start but soon gulp. I could be confident and not make it so obvious that I was nervous. After making an effort to be calm, I said, "We, I mean."

"We," I shook my head. " No, it was all me." I finally said.

I noticed how Nick snapped his head to mine but I couldn't look at him yet. My eyes were still fixed on his mum as hers were on mine.

"No she's lying." he said.

"Do I look like someone who lies?" I shrug with a serious face.

"She's lying," he turns to me, "What the hell are you doing? I pulled you out of school."

I could see her expression changing. She marvelled at us yet slightly puzzled. I'm probably sure she had no clue on who she needed to believe. But she should believe me, isn't that what she wants to believe?

I paused for a while and when she didn't reply, I continued, "I'm sorry." I apologize.

"Why are you being like this Melanie?" Nick shouted, slamming his hand on the table

His aunty looked at us in awe. Even his mum, I swore I saw her eyes widened at my apology.

"Actually, I wanted something I forgot here some days ago and we both  kinda lost track of time. I'm really sorry." I bow my head. Just under the table, I took Nick's hand in mine. Luckily he wasn't all angry.