Chapter 30

NICK

That evening, as soon as my mum and aunt had fallen asleep, I turned on the lights in my room. Studying seemed like the only idea since I couldn't even fall asleep. I took out some of my journals I had written some time before. I began glancing through all of it but soon I put it down as I remembered what happened earlier in school, now I feel really bad for saying such things.

With my hand on my fore head, I found myself looking into space but snapped out of it quickly when I heard my door creak open. The door stopped suddenly just about five inches and I stared at the door waiting.

A leg shoot in and I notice a pink night dress, that's when I realised it was my aunty since I saw her earlier on it. The door opened a little again and she brought her head in. I was right, It was my aunty.

I didn't talk to her earlier during dinner when I realised what I said was bull shit. The door fully opens and she walks in.

She ruffled my hair, normally I'll complain but I wasn't saying anything. "You okay?" She whispered. I know well I was alright but someone isn't because of me.

She grabbed one of my journals and began chuckling, it's like she thought I was gonna complain about it and beg her to return it back but instead I sat there, like she wasn't even in the room.

Lazy to read as always, she flips the pages, hissing the more she sees some grammar since I have a lot in them.  After flipping all the way to the end, she ended up throwing the book on my bed before sitting on it. She snapped her fingers to my direction even though I was looking at her.

"What is it?" She asked and I saw her adjusting her night dress. I'm still really surprised she's wearing a long one and pink at that.

"Nothing, just studying." I replied, looking at to my books.

"Oh okay. You know I just walked in because your lights were still on." She pointed towards the lamp. "Wow, I never knew you still had this picture with you." She stood up and reached for the picture frame that always sat on my lamp stand. With the picture on her hand she smiled slightly at it before dropping it.

"You still have it." She said again smiling broadly this time and I just nodded.

"I'm gonna go downstairs for a cup of,  um, milk, Yeah. "

I stood up from my chair gently trying not to make a sound but eventually it did. I had hope that maybe when I returned she had already gone to her room. The last thing I want is talking to someone and that one seems to be her. I opened the door gently since I didn't want mum storming out of her room too.

Walking down the stairs, I began hearing some foot steps behind me and quickly I turned around

"What?! I need milk too." She shrugs, pushing me out of the way. She didn't even care if she made a sound.

I opened the refrigerator taking the jar of milk out while my aunty stood there with two glasses. She placed both of them on the counter as I began pouring the milk into one of the glasses.

I didn't really like the milk we had since everyone in this house seemed to like skimmed milk, if only I knew I would have used a glass of water for my excuse.

Pouring into the other glass now, I didn't realize when I looked away and began staring at the clock hung on the wall just at the parlor. The time was already 12:42. I couldn't believe I actually had stayed awake not even studying but rather thinking of how an asshole I had been earlier and could only wish for one thing, if only time could reverse.

"Good lord!" My aunty shouted and I snapped out of it, looking down at the counter which already had spilled milk.

"Shit!" I reached for the towel but she already got to it before me. She  cleaned while I just stood there.