Chapter 6

MELANIE

Watching Mr Eric as he struggles not to fall asleep behind his desk, I couldn't help laughing—Yes, detention is always boring but sitting here, seeing him doze was better than any art piece. A few more minutes and he finally let's me go. Going to work now was just silly, my shift was almost over but I didn't want to go home either—I wasn't in the mood to see my mum injured or listen to her boyfriend continuous yapping.

Towards 5:30pm in the evening I arrive at the club. Walking through the parking lot, I kept seeing people spilling out—some were smoking, some stood around their motorcycles and cars chatting, some were waiting on others while some were making out, personally I see two couples making out in their blue-white car, if they were even couples.

Jake the aggressive and tall doorman instead of having sharp eyes was busy looking the ladies up and down—as always. He knows I am not up to eighteen yet but since I work here he lets me in. I still remember the first day I got the job, it took hours before he could let me in—well who wouldn't, I was only sixteen.

I cover my ear as soon as I walk in. The loud screaming was too much to handle not to talk about the continuous fleeing from one table to another done by some guys here. Above the bar were colourful lights that were so bright but even with those lights, it was still hard to see people's faces. I move through the crowd doing my best not to hit any of the cocktails waitresses who were trying their best even with this irritating sound and the hot atmosphere to move through the crowd with their trays way over their head so as not to make a scene.

There was a disc jockey spinning the top 40's hits—the guys in charge wasn't even in his spot. Someone mistakenly butts me and eventually I hit my butt on one of the pool table. Ouch! Turning around to see who just did that, it was to no avail, there were lots of people behind me.

Having a glance at how the night club looks like, I see that men were way more than the women here, I bet they must be having lots of fun. In a corner, I see some skinny girls who were already wasted and couldn't even stand up straight—later they would be surprised on how they woke up at a guy's house the next morning... Funny.

Sighing loudly, happy that I've gone through the crowd, I walk up to the bar which was only a few inches away. My fellow bartenders were there. We are three—Darren takes morning shifts, I take afternoon and Lexi takes night shift. Mine was the shortest but to my surprise Darren was with her. I only have one word for Darren—stupid. I didn't know if I should tell him that Lexi just uses him because she knows he has a crush on her but then again, I do not care. They were so busy, they barely scan the crowd. Lexi was wiping the bar while Darren was talking with the customers moving at a leisurely pace. I've never really spoken to them and I don't have plans to, Brielle was okay for.

"Shit Mel!" I turn around to see a panting Brie, "Where the hell have you been?" she wipes the sweat off her forehead and fans herself with her opened palm. I'm guessing she just danced for someone.

"School problems." I replied plainly.

"Well you are lucky. Darren water please," she leans on the bar counter. "Boss didn't have a clue you weren't around. I helped Lexi and Darren so you don't have to worry." Or maybe she didn't dance after all.

"Thanks. You are supposed to be doing your job but you covered mine."

"Here." Darren hands the bottled water to her and immediately goes back to the customers.

She quickly removes the bottle lid and takes a huge gulp of water, "Well," she breaths out, "your shift is over now anyway." I nod. All I could think of was getting the hell out of here.