Chapter 44

MELANIE

Red eyed and miserable, I lay my head on my desk as I stare out the window. I remained restless, disturbed, I couldn't concentrate in class knowing well Nick was badly hurt, injured and bruised. Even earlier when he walked in, I couldn't help but notice how he held onto his stomach firmly, the spot Thomas had hit him countless times—they seriously need to detain that boy. As every school days goes, the teacher comes and go. Though I had promised Nick in one of our lesson sections that I would try my best to concentrate in class but now it wasn't particularly working, he has me worried. As much as I wanted to barge out of this classes and be with him, I couldn't, I didn't have the courage to.

Suddenly a punch on my arm completely slaps me away from thought. Groaning loudly, I turn my head to the other direction to see it was Rubsy.

"What is it?" I ask in a whisper, my body too weak to speak aloud. With a little push, I remove my head from my desk and only then did I notice the teacher wasn't in front of the class anymore, it seems she already left.

"You okay? You seem a bit distant." She ask, a worried look all over her face as she shove her books inside her bags.

Breathing out, I begin clapping my note books shut and shoving them one by one inside me bag, "I'm fine." I reply bluntly.

"I honestly think Nick is not to blame here," At the mention of Nick's name, I spun around to the direction it was coming from, it was Diana. "Like we don't even have any proof to say he's the one but we all went ahead hating him. We all know how Thomas hated him so is likely he mistook him to be the snitch when it could be anyone in this class or probably the entire school, someone holding a grudge against him. I feel bad seeing how badly he was beaten, just look at all those injuries all over him, all those bruises must hurt but he took it all in. I think we fucked up Frank and I can't believe I blamed him more because of you." She sighs loudly but everyone remained quiet, not daring to utter a word, including Frank.

"It's not Nick." At at once, everyone including me snap their head towards Carlos who as always had a novel in his hand. Slowly, taking his time, he claps the book shut and drops it lightly on his desk. "I'm saying the snitch isn't Nick."

"What makes you so sure?" Frank asked. From the tone of his voice you could tell he was angry, I heard he was taken down from being captain.

Again taking his time, Carlos scans the room, looking at every person's face in the class. For some reason, I also wanted to know who the snitch it. "Who possibly did it? Who pushed the blame on Nick? Who the hell is the fucking coward?" With all those questions going on in my head, I clench my fist hard as I feel rage slowly take over my body.

"The person who did it is right here, right now." Carlos confirmed and in that moment, Frank jumps up from his seat, grabbing everyone's attention.

"Carlos, fuck being an asshole and tell us." He said controlling himself from shouting and soon Carlos stands up too.

Shrugging, "Everyone knows I'm not one to talk. Getting myself involved in someone's matter is really tiring and you know that's not me. When the person finally realises what he or she had done, they'd probably come out. So Frank, don't be angry at Nick and try paying him a visit in the infirmary, he's not the rat, believe me."

In a long sigh, Frank falls back on his chair, "This is fucking stupid."

"Melanie," Rubsy pat my shoulders making me turn to her, "Did you hear that, Nick isn't the snitch." She whispers.

"I knew he wasn't." I stand up from my seat, wearing my bag over my shoulder and quickly Rubsy does same.

"You...You knew?" She asked confused, as she held onto her bag firmly, "Then why have you been so down? Isn't it because of him?"