~Civilized Conversation~13~

^ me when Ranboo mentioned "experiments" in his latest lore stream

also sorry for the wait, my motivation was out the door ready to leave but I dragged it back in so here ya go

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Boo and the man sat in front of each other silently, the only thing that separated them was the wet bars of Boo's cage which made a slight trickling noise, ever so slightly breaking the silence between them. 

Taking a deep breath the man looked up a little bit, but not enough to meet Boo's piercing gaze as he awaited the first question. 

The man spoke in an even voice, with not much emotion laced in its simplicity,

"Do you perchance have a name?"

A straightforward question to start, but not so much to answer. Boo thought back to the accident at the village and his encounters with his own reflection which led to the conclusion of his current name. He let out a small shudder recalling these events and answered in a shaky voice, 

"Boo...it's...Boo."

The man raised his eyebrow silently and repeated the name confusingly,

"Boo? How on earth did you get that name?"

Boo's face scrunched into a look of discomfort and he quickly shook his head.

The man let out a sigh showing he wasn't going to try and pry to much for that information.

"If it makes you feel any better," he paused, "my name is Neil." 

The man peaked at Boo's face to see his reaction. Boo simply nodded while staring at the base of the mans boots, absentmindedly.

The man furrowed his brow slightly, 

"Um...Boo, are you perchance...afraid of me?"

Boo glanced uncomfortably to the side and, again, nodded silently.

Neil let out a small "Hm" and scratched his pale chin awkwardly before replying with the most obvious comment, 

"Well...may I ask why?"

Boo didn't quite know how to word it. He wanted to tell Neil everything, he truly did, but he didn't want to just dump it all at once. The terrible act he committed on Neil's friend. Why he stayed at that house as long as he did. The sheer guilt he felt was overwhelming, the man had every right to be furious with Boo for what he did...if he knew. This is what scared Boo the most, even if the man wasn't angry now he would definitely become so if Boo told him. However, Boo realized Neil would probably become agitated either way, whether he told him or just remained silent. Boo let out a mixture of a sigh and an enderman warble and began to give Neil his explanation.

"You...have good reason to be mad at me. I'm guilty. So so guilty, and because of that...I am very, very scared."

The man had a confused look plastered to his face,

"What do you mean, guilty?

The question Boo had been dreading...

"I-I-I killed that man, the one who lived in that house. You called him Mo- Ma-? What was it?"

Neil clenched his fists tightly and swallowed hard.

"Matthew...that is- was...his name"

Boo nodded solemnly,

"Yes, I killed Matthew next to the bridge near his house. I felt very bad, very very guilty. So I went to his house and tried to do a nice thing and take care of his house and his cats...I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry. You are probably mad, and now I am more scared. Sorry sorry sorry." 

Neil sat in shock, his shaky breathing only fueled Boo's growing anxiety and he shifted slightly towards the back of the cage, away from the clearly disturbed man in front of him.

Neil slid his head into the palms of his hands so that his face was completely covered for a quick moment before he lifted them away and began to speak.

"Matthew... was like my little brother, before that house he lived in by himself, he used to live with me. We were practically raised as siblings since childhood, so it was only natural we would stick together." Neil hesitated to continue. 

"When we first started living off the land, I began to gain an interest in the many mobs that wondered in and out of our area, especially during the night hours. So one day I decided I was going to go out at night and capture one of them alive. And I did, not just that night, but many nights after that. I would just put them in a shed out back to observe closer...and do a few tests on...However, I didn't want to tell Matthew about it, but I guess that was useless because he found out anyway. I could tell he wasn't angry at me, but rather he was uncomfortable... I should have stopped when I realized that... I was foolish, and eventually Matthew said he wanted to try living on his own just for the experience, but I of course knew the real reason..."

Boo could visibly see the look of regret sewed onto Neil's face, he was telling the honest truth...

"When I went to visit his new house for the first time was our first encounter, I should have visited so much sooner though, but instead I took his absence as a sign to build this lab and continue with my experiments. Even when one of them went terribly wrong and escaped, I was stupid enough to try and chase after it. And it was only when I failed that I made the decision to go and see Matthew."

Boo took a moment to process the information he had just been bombarded with. Now learning of Neil and Matthew's close relationship, he felt even worse than before...

Neil continued on,

"I'm sorry for being so violent back at the house, the regret I had been feeling did not mix well with the panic of Matthew's sudden disappearance at the time, and I took it out on what I thought was a simple mob." Neil closed his eyes,

"I now see that you are much more unique than what I had originally expected..." 

Boo glanced quickly at Neil's face just in time to see what he thought might have been a small smirk tugging at his lips. But just as soon as he saw it, Neil's expression turned back into one of pain and remorse as if nothing had happened at all...

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

dialogue is going to be the death of me

also Boo's speech is supposed to be a bit simple and weird, he'll learn a bit more complex vocabulary later on

omg Neil Cicierega ~