Twenty Seven: There's a First Time for Everything

Twenty Seven

He was staring down at her in shock, as if he hadn't just told her she should be up any day now. Well, today was that day. Isa was awake and staring up at him expectantly, waiting for him to at least greet her back.

Not doing so would be rude.

Adrian's face was frozen, but finally, he blinked slowly down at her, licking his dry lips as she rubbed his back, "H-Hi, Isa." She cocked her head to the side, hearing with her now advanced auditory sense that his usually slow beating heart was racing quicker than she had ever had, "What's wrong, Adrian?" She asked him quietly, still rubbing his back, welcoming that heat she had so missed while she had been unconscious.

Isa knew what had happened. She was dying, had been shot and he had changed her into a vampire, something she had never wanted to be, but at the same time, she was grateful. He had- Adrian had saved her life. It wasn't her time to go, and he had saved her.

His silver eyes stared down at her before he shook his head, pulling himself from his own reverie before nodding down at her, "I'm fine, I just....You surprised me is all."

Sitting upright, Isa sighed, grinning at him, "Well, you sounded like you wanted me to wake up, and I've been trying to for a while now, and when you kissed me, I guess that did it," She murmured with a shrug, "So, did you miss me?"

"Of course I missed you, Isaline. You died in my arms. I was...."

"Worried about me," Isa finished confidently for him, "You were scared I wouldn't wake up; that's what you told Leigh."

His onyx brows shot up as he pulled away from her, then sat on the edge of the bed, watching her, his grey eyes calculating as he stared her down, "You could hear me?" He was suddenly guarded as he waited for her response. She nodded easily, "I think I've been able to hear you for at most couple of days now. Before that, everything was black; I don't think I was really with my body..."

Isa shivered, thinking back to the darkness she had been floating in, timeless, as she heard her own voice telling her that Adrian was fixing her, making her better again. She had no clue what that had meant, no way to grasp what time it was, how long she had been just sitting, waiting in that scary, but somehow comforting abyss of nothingness. It had turned into her home.

"How long have I been....?"

"Almost a month," Adrian murmured, still watching her with that guarded look of his, "I had to take you out of the hospital after a few days because my venom was in your system, and the doctors, they were human, they would have seen something different, something changing in your DNA and you would have turned into a guinea pig. I've been taking care of you."

With ease, Isa climbed into Adrian's lap, straddling his waist as she studied his face, his beautiful features. It seemed she had missed out on a lot. Her mediocre, human eyesight hadn't done the man sitting beneath her justice, whereas before he was only beautiful, now, he was stunning, breath taking. Just amazing.

His eyes, while they were grey, had shining flecks of blue in them that resembled ice, glaciers. There was a slight bump in his nose, whereas before she had thought that Adrian had just had a Grecian built proboscis, she now knew it was more from a broken nose that had never been set. She ran her tiny fingers over his nose, taking in the small difference with awe, "You broke it?" She whispered quietly, her curious eyes awaiting his response, which came in the form of an uncomfortable nod, "When I was sixteen. I never set it, scared to tell my parents I had gotten into another fight, so..."

She was making him uncomfortable, but it was all just so new to her, she couldn't help her curiosity, she wanted to take in all the small features she had missed. She cared that she was making him feel abnormal, but at the same time she didn't care enough to stop.