Chapter Forty-Eight

I wake up startled, my eyes searching frantically for the source that has woken me.

There it goes again, a pinging against my window as if pebbles are being tossed.

Adrian?

But it can't be. Adrian is gone. Adrian can't possibly be here now, tossing pebbles at my window so we can sneak out to our clearing.

It can't be.

Heart thumping widely, I climb out of bed, my 10 toes sinking into the fuzzy carpet, and pad over to the window. Pushing the drapes aside, I peek out to find a boy standing on the front lawn, looking up at me.

It's not Adrian.

His metallic, steel-gray eyes meet mine and he gives me a small wave, before gesturing with a toss of his head for me to come outside.

I take a few steps back, putting myself out of view.

I don't want to face him. Not now. Not ever.

Another pebble hits the window, causing me to flinch.

Why is he here? What does he want?

So relentless. He's always so relentless.

Ping, ping, ping...

Frustrated, I walk back up to the window and shake my head 'no' at him while shooing him away with my hands.

He doesn't budge though. His feet firm on the ground, his eyes locked on mine--- willing me to come to him.

So relentless. He's always so relentless.

The window creaks as I push it open and step out onto the roof. A small breeze circles around me, causing me to shiver. The day is warm, but the night is cold.

My heart is still thudding widely as I make my way down to him. I can feel his eyes watching me the entire way.

"What?" I demand once I am on solid ground and facing him.

He shrugs. A move that irritates me a lot. "I haven't seen you in a while and heard that you were sick... thought I'll come and check on you. Make sure you're still alive."

Those last 5 words sting, causing me to wince. If only he knew that I was so close to not being here now--- alive.

I struggle with my wording. "I... Thank you... Thank you for coming to check up on me, as you can see I'm doing fine."

He studies me with those metallic gray eyes of his. "You've been out of school for so long, I was kind of..." He scratches behind his ear, his eyes now looking upward at the star-sprinkled sky. "Worried," he finally finishes.

"I appreciate your concern. I was pretty sick, but now I'm doing a lot better and hope to be back in school real soon." I'm gazing up at the sky too, a bit uncomfortable. I don't like the friendship that Levi believes is budding between us. I'm not interested in a friendship. Not at all. More now than ever.

"I'm happy to hear that."

"Thank you." I dig my slipper into the dirt at my feet. "Was there anything else?... Cause it's late and I'll like to go back to sleep..."

His Adam apple bobs up and down as he speaks. "Would you like to hang out tomorrow?"

I'm looking at him now. Annoyed. Annoyed by his straightforwardness. Annoyed that he had the audacity to wake me up from my peaceful slumber just so he can ask me how I'm doing and if I would like to hang out tomorrow... Yes, I would like to hang. I would be very happy to hang you, Levi Cruze, by a noose for everyone to see!