Chapter Twenty-Two

The smooth chain slips through my fingertips. Again, again, and again.

"Stop that." Adrian touches my hand lightly, guiding it away from the necklace's chain around my neck.

"Sorry, I can't help it. I'm nervous."

He smiles softly. "I should be the one nervous, not you."

"Why can't we both be?"

His warm lips brush against my knuckles. 1-2-3-4-5. "Because when you're nervous, I get even more nervous."

"Ditto."

He smiles again. "How about on the count of three, we both inhale deeply and then exhale. Try to calm our nerves."

"Ok."

He begins to count. 1-2-3. I inhale and then exhale. And then inhale and exhale. We do this several times till our nerves are a tad bit calmer.

"Ready?" Adrian asks.

I nod, giving his hand a small squeeze. In return, he gives me a brave smile, before tearing the envelope open and pulling the smooth paper slip out. Pen now in hand, he begins to write. 1 minute later the slip of paper is inside a new envelope, sealed. His fate sealed along with it.

***

Tonight we choose to go out for pizza. Settled in the yellow booth, I stare at the slice before me. Cheese and sauce dripping. My mouth salivates. Who doesn't love pizza? I bite into it.

"How's Adrian doing?"

I peel my eyes away from the slice before me, settling on Dad. "He's good."

Dad smiles. "Glad to hear." He has never been happier to hear that Adrian and I are back together.

I say nothing while finishing off my slice. "Seconds?" I question, giving a sweet smile.

Mom pushes the remains of the pie to me and I take the last slice. Yummy.

Josh passes the fries my way. It's as if he read my mind. "Thanks."

He nods.

Just then the lights dim and music begins to boom over the loudspeakers. 'Happy Birthday to you.' My eyes try to draw in everything as the staff members march along the isles, the 2 workers that are leading, proudly holding up a cake. A young girl in the booth beside us squeals in delight. I'm guessing she's the birthday girl. The birthday cake is placed before her and she smiles big and I can't stop myself from smiling along. The lights brighten again and the music goes off, the staff returning to their jobs while the customers return to their food.

Peeling my eyes away from the excitement, I return to my own food.

"Remember when we made a surprise birthday party for your dad at 'The Purple Eggplant'?" Mom questions Dad.

He smiles. "Yeah, wasn't much of a surprise since Mom slipped and told him everything."

They both share a laugh, love in their gazes at one another. And once again I can't help myself from smiling as I finish up my slice of pizza.

"I'm stuffed," I announce.

Dad chuckles. "I wonder why."

I stick my tongue out at him and he wiggles his eyebrows at me, causing Josh to snort and Mom to giggle.

Now, this is called a normal family.

***

After dinner, we all walk next door to the arcades. Dad and Mom settle themselves down on the loveseat while Josh and I make our way around the bustling room.