Chapter Ten

My reflection studies me, judging; eyes piercing the rosemary gold chain resting against my exposed collarbone. Perhaps I should cover it with a less revealing top, hiding it from the world. Something that would only belong to me. Something like a secret.

Who am I kidding? I can't wear turtlenecks for the rest of my life. Someone eventually will see the necklace and ask the question, 'who gave it to you?' And well, I'll answer, 'my boyfriend. It belonged to his mother before she died. And now it's mine, all mine.' That last part I would leave to myself.

1 cool chain slips through 5 fingers, before resting once again against my skin, glowing in the light. Something to treasure.

"Who gave that to you?"

I jump, knocking my funny bone into the dresser, the feel of poking needles spreading up my arm. Ouch.

Mom stands in the doorway with her hazel eyes fixed on the necklace.

"Adrian," I reply, my heart fluttering when I say his name. "It belonged to his mother and well..." I can feel my face reddening. "He thought I should have it."

She smiles as I rub my still aching funny bone. "Awe isn't that sweet. Are you two finally an item?"

My blush deepens. "Mom!"

She laughs. "I'm taking that as a yes."

I glare at her. "So what brings you to my room?"

"Oh right." She smiles. "I came to tell you that we're leaving now. Dad chose McDonald's."

I sigh. "Ok, I'm coming."

Grabbing my sweater, I follow her out of my room, closing the door behind me.

***

McDonald's is extra packed tonight, we get the last table for 4 situated all the way in the back of the store near the smelly restrooms. Every time someone opens the door, I gag and quickly cover my nose. This must have already happened 6 times in the past 20 minutes as we wait for our food. My order is the Chicken McNuggets with fries and a large coke.

Why isn't it ready yet? I'm hungry.

"So how was school today?" Mom asks, once again bringing up a conversation.

"School," I respond my eyes centered on Dad who's finally heading back toward us, a red tray piled with food occupying his hands. My hero!

"Food!" Josh cheers as Dad places the food before us.

"Thanks," I smile taking what I ordered and digging in.

This time around I'm the one watching Josh eat; ketchup from his burger dripping down his chin. He doesn't look my way once as my eyes sear into him. He must have learned his lesson from last time. Good, let's not start any fights tonight. I don't think I could handle any. I know I can't handle any.

For once I want us to be a normal, happy family. No problems. No issues. No daughters who are crazy.

Again who am I kidding, this family will never be normal. I'll never be normal. Because I'm crazy. --- A disease that I believe is incurable.

Shelby Morganstein, the crazy daughter who is pulling her family apart by the seams.

I'm now looking down at my uneaten fries, tears welling up in my eyes. I push them back, barricading them with a brick wall.

"Everything ok sunshine?" I look up, finding Dad watching me. "You haven't touched your fries."

Smiling softly, I reply, "Yeah, just need the chicken nuggets to settle first before I tackle the fries."