Chapter Thirty-Two

A butterfly, such a delicate creature, yet also so strong. Its colorful wings fluttering with all the strength that it has, getting it from here to there.

If only I could fly.

"Earth to Shelby?"

My eyes peel away from the small butterfly, landing on Adrian. "Mhm."

"I said we're headed out soon, but it seems like you're in your own world at the moment."

I look back at the butterfly, which is preparing to take off, its wings starting to flap back and forth. "Was just admiring all of the beauty surrounding me."

A flirtatious smile makes its way onto his face. "Well, then you should be looking through the glass doors behind you."

"Why?" I wonder as I turn around and gaze through the doors.

"Do you see it?"

All I can see is the room beyond and a blurry glimpse of my reflection. "See what?"

He comes to stand beside me. "I see it."

"You do?" I see my reflection raise an eyebrow.

"Yes. And wow, is she beautiful."

"My reflection."

"You got it." He smiles as he leans in and plants a kiss on my cheek.

"You're so cheesy." I can't help myself from smiling though.

"Cheesy is good, isn't it?"

I laugh. "Not at all."

"But isn't cheesy romantic?"

"It is, but it means too much at once. Which can make it cringe-worthy."

"Are you saying that I make you cringe?" He looks hurt. Oopsie.

I open my mouth to respond, but just then Dylan calls to us from inside, "You guys ready to go? The car is already all packed."

Thank you Dylan for rescuing me.

"Let's go." I take Adrian's hand in mine and drag him after me toward the garage where the car is parked.

"But you didn't answer me."

I look at him as we're climbing into the SUV's back seats. "No, you're not cringy, just a bit cheesy at times."

"And is that a bad thing?"

"Not at all," I reply while I kiss his stubbled cheek for reinsurance.

"Good." He smiles. "Because I have a lot more cheesy lines stashed away in my back pocket."

Now I'm groaning. "You have to be kidding me."

"Not at all." He smirks and I laugh.

"You guys are so cheesy." Sierra is in the passenger seat looking over her shoulder at us.

Adrian and I share a look before bursting out in laughter.

"What?" Sierra asks, all confused.

"Nothing," Adrian and I say in unison.

"Oh, whatever." She turns back around and turns on the radio as we pull onto the highway.

I lean my head onto Adrian's shoulder and close my eyes, allowing myself to drift off to sleep for the remainder of the car ride.

***

In the next few days, I try to make as many happy memories as I can with Adrian. I don't let him leave my side. It's as if we are joined together by the hips.