Chapter Thirty-Six

My life lately has become me constantly checking my phone. Adrian hasn't contacted me for close to 3 weeks now. 

He better be ok

He better be ok.

Because all of this anxiety is killing me.

I check my phone once again. Of course, nothing has changed over the last few minutes. Sighing, I toss my phone onto the bed beside me and gaze up at the glowing yellow stars on my ceiling. Adrian always loved the star stickers stuck like glue all over his ceiling, and I decided to give it a try. 

So far I haven't been able to figure out what's so special about them--- perhaps it's just to have something to stare at when you're lying all alone in bed. Yes, that must be it.

A knock on the door startles me and I quickly sit up, just as Mom peeks her head into the room. 

"Dinner is ready," she says, taking in the closed drapes and lights. The room is dark, besides for the glowing stars and phone screen. Now her forehead is creased in concern. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, I'll be down in a minute." I give her a soft smile, which she accepts.

"Ok, see you." She leaves, the door left ajar.

Sighing, I climb out of bed and head downstairs. 

The strong aroma of barbecue chicken and grilled vegetables tickle my nostrils as I enter the kitchen and take my seat across from Josh.

"The food smells divine."  Dad walks into the room and goes to help Mom serve. 

She smiles at him, that smile that is just meant for him to see. I look away as she says. "Thank you. I tried out a new recipe for the drumsticks."

"Looks delicious. Can't wait to give it a try."

The food is placed on the table and once everyone is seated, we dig in.

"Wow, Mom this is really good." Josh smiles while licking some sauce off of his lips. "You should definitely make this more often."

Mom beams. "Thank you. And maybe I will." Her hazel eyes fix on me. "What do you say, Shelby?"

I finish chewing the grilled pepper before responding. "It's delicious."

Her beam brightens, as strong as the sun's rays. "Glad everyone likes it." 

We all nod in agreement as we stuff our faces. To be honest, I find there to be a little too much ketchup in the sauce, but eh that's just my opinion which I will keep to myself.

Once everyone is finished eating, I help Mom clean up. 

"How is school?" she asks. And there Mom goes bringing up a conversation. 

"It's ok."

I can feel her eyes on me as I brush crumbs off of the table. "Missing Adrian?"

"Yeah, more than anything."