Chapter Nineteen

Something strong has me in its embrace. I try to wiggle free, but it refuses to let go.

My eyes flutter open to find Adrian's arms wrapped around me, holding me close. And I find myself admiring his face. His full lips are parted as he breathes, his nostrils slightly flared, his eyelids squeezed shut--- long, golden eyelashes tickling his cheeks. 1 of my fingers reaches out, feeling how soft those eyelashes are. He awakens suddenly, his sleepy evergreen eyes settling on me, and smiles. My heart melts.

"Good morning," he murmurs, "How did you sleep?"

I stretch my sore limbs. "Good." As a matter of fact, make that great. Last night I had no nightmares. Maybe Adrian warded them off for me. Maybe he's my good luck charm.

"That's great." He gives me a toothy grin and I can't help myself from pulling him close and kissing him. "What was that for?" He says against my lips.

I just smile, giving him 1 last peck. "I should get going before my parents have the chance to freak out when they find my bed empty."

"Yes, that would be wise."

I climb out of his bed and quickly get dressed, adding his T-shirt to the pile of laundry littering the floor. "Your room is such a mess."

His eyes scan over the room. "I guess you're right."

"Boys," I snort.

He places his hand over his heart. "Ouch, that is discrimination. I promise to make sure it's clean the next time you come. Just give me a heads up."

I smile shyly at that, before strolling out of his room and closing the door shut behind me. As I'm making my way down the stairs, I bump into Joel. He doesn't seem surprised to find me here so early in the morning.

"Hey, Shelly, can you do me a favor?" I nod and he hands me an envelope that was sticking out of his jeans pocket. "Can you please give this to Adrian and tell him he has three days to respond."

"Yeah, sure." He brushes past me, now headed downstairs. I don't budge. My eyes are glued to the envelope clutched tightly in my hands, my body starting to shake.

I finally know what Adrian was hiding from me and I'm raging. I'm like a dragon ready to release an inferno.

Pivoting on my heels, I stomp back up the stairs I just came down, and barge into Adrian's room. He's surprised to see me.

"Shelby?" He's in the middle of pulling his shirt on, his biceps flexing.

"Back so soon?"

"Back so soon?"

I throw the envelope at him, the cream-colored paper landing at his bare feet. "You're joining the military." My voice is dripping venom.

He opens his mouth to speak and I cut him off. "This is what you were keeping from me. This is what you were hiding." I can't keep my hands from trembling. All the millions of veins in my body are heated with so much anger.

"Let me explain." His beautiful evergreen eyes are pleading with me.

I glance away. "No, I don't want to hear how you've been lying to me all this time. Now I understand why you've been acting so weird." Now I understand why you wouldn't let me tell you those 3 words last night--- You are leaving me. This can't be happening.

"That's the thing B, you wouldn't let me speak. Every time I tried to tell you, you shushed me. So now, just let me explain."

My eyes are on him, his handsome face blurred from my fiery hot tears. I blink and they roll down my cheeks, leaving behind sizzling marks. "Don't say another word. If you wanted to tell me so badly, you would have. You most probably were relieved all those times I shushed you. If I didn't see this letter you most probably wouldn't have even told me the truth..."

"That's not true," he cries.

I can't look at him anymore without having the urge to strangle him. My back is turned to him and I'm starting to walk away.

"SHELBY, WAIT!" He grabs my arm. I shove him off. "Please let me explain everything." He's choking on his words. "Please Shelby, just wait."

I bolt from the room. My feet skip several steps on the way down and I stumble into the wall. I can hear him behind me, calling my name. With the little strength that I can muster, I push myself away from the wall and continue to run.

I can barely see a step ahead of me, my eyes overflowing with tears. Adrian has been lying to me. Adrian is leaving me.

My world is falling apart.

Joel has the front door opened for me, I don't question, I just run by.

I can hear him telling Adrian, "It's about time she knew man."

Adrian yells something. I don't care. I don't care. I DON'T CARE!

Shutting them out, I run, I stumble, I float toward my house. Snow sloshes underneath my feet and I can't feel the cold.

I am the cold.

I am numb.

I am ice.

Finally, I barge into my house and fall onto my knees, sobs racking my body. I can't seem to breathe. I am suddenly hot. Then I am cold. I am here. Then I am not. I am drifting,

drifting

                              drifting

                                                             drifting...

I shatter into a million pieces.