Chapter Eleven

Today after school I agreed to go shopping with Ellie and Sierra. What was I thinking?

I sit cramped in the back of Sierra's black and red mini cooper. Lucky Ellie called shotgun again.

Trying to stretch my aching legs, I end up banging my knee hard into the cup tray and let out some foul words.

Bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep...

"Everything ok over there?" Ellie twists around in her spacious seat to look at me.

"Just a bit sore," I pout. "Are we there yet?"

"Three more minutes," is Sierra's response.

Bleep. I don't know if I can last 1 more second in this confined space.

It ends up being 7 minutes since Ellie can't figure out how to move her seat forward to let me out. I literally stumble out of the small vehicle, relieved when my feet make contact with the ground. Oh, the glorious ground and space!

Stretching my sore limbs I ask, "What are we shopping for again?"

"Cute outfits for the welcoming party Sunday night. Robin heard that the new family is moving in on Saturday and that they have a kid our age." Ellie grins while shoving Sierra playfully. "Maybe it's a boy, a really cuuuutttteee boy."

Sierra frowns. "I'm not letting any boy replace my Ronald."

"You guys are still keeping in touch?" I question.

She nods, her eyes sad. "Yeah, at least we're trying to, but it's not easy with the time difference."

"I get that." I hike my backpack up on my back and follow my friends into the mall.

"Yeah, it sucks," Sierra continues as she leads me and Ellie to her favorite store--- Forever 21.

In just a few minutes their hands are piled with clothing. And all I take is a denim jumper with embroidered cherries.

"High Ho, High Ho to the dressing rooms we go," Ellie and Sierra singsong.

I pretend not to know them, rolling my eyes and taking a step back, while mumbling under my breath, " I'm not with these crazies..."

Sierra smiles, managing to take hold of my arm, even with her hands occupied with all those clothes I'm sure she's just trying on for fun. "I heard that," she says.

I'm ushered into the dressing rooms, not at all ready for the trying-on clothes marathon

Before I even have the chance to remove the jumper from its hanger, t-shirts, pants, and mini dresses are being tossed around the large dressing room. Ellie even manages to get one of the crop tops she tried on hooked over the 3-angle view stand-up- mirror.

"Isn't this cute?" Sierra poses with her hands on hips, lips pursed, and long, dark eyelashes fluttering.

I take in the really, really, really short red dress she has on. It barely covers her thighs and the whole back is cut out.