Chapter Thirty-Nine

This time when I climb out of my window there is no Adrian standing on the lawn tossing pebbles. A pang of sadness overcomes me and I quickly push it away. Tonight I won't allow myself to drown in all of my sadness. So putting a big smile on my face, I jump down from where the roof slants low, my feet coming into contact with the solid ground. And with my chin buried in the warmth of my jacket, I head toward the woods.

As I near the clearing, I can hear the boombox already blasting all of the latest hits. My classmates are either dancing, smoking, drinking, or busy looking down at their cell phones.

Ellie spots me, waving me over. "About time you showed up," she smirks.

"Sorry, I fell asleep."

A lie. The real reason that I am late is that I was looking through all the pictures on my phone of Adrian, causing myself to cry. I miss him. Just thinking about him again causes my eyes to tear, but I blink them away.

Tonight I am not letting Adrian enter my mind again.

"Want to dance?" I ask Ellie. I could use a distraction.

She smiles. "Thought you'd never ask."

Laughing, we go to join all of the other dancers, swaying our hips from side to side.

"Where's Sierra?" I wonder when I notice that she is nowhere to be seen.

"Dylan invited her to spend the weekend with him."

"Oh." I'm kind of hurt that she didn't tell me.

My thoughts are disrupted when I feel a light tap on my shoulder. "Mind if I interrupt?"

Ellie shrugs and I turn around meeting those metallic gray eyes. "Sure, what's up?"

He smiles shyly. "Would you like to dance?"

I've seen Levi dance on more than 1 occasion, he is incredible. Would I be able to keep up?

Chewing on my lower lip, I reply, "Ok. Just warning you that I'm not really a good dancer."

"What about decent?" His eyes twinkle in a teasing way and I find myself blushing.

"I guess I'm somewhat decent."

"Good," he says as his hands circle around my waist.

My breath gets caught in my throat when he pulls me close, moving me along to the music. I try to keep up, leaving a distance between us, but end up stumbling and crashing into him.

He holds me up, his eyes gazing into mine, concerned. "You ok?"

I am not interested in Levi Cruze

Right?

"Hello, Shelby. Are you ok?" he repeats.

Catching my breath, I nod. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Thanks. Got to go though. See you around."

I flee as fast as I can, ignoring Katie's glare of jealousy.