Chapter Twenty-Three

Strong arms wrap around my waist from behind. "Hello, beautiful." His warm lips tickle my ear, as the sweet smell of chewing gum tickles my nostrils.

I lean back into Adrian and smile. "Greetings."

He lets go of my waist and reaches into my locker, collecting my books for me. "May I walk the lady to her next class?"

I can't help myself from giggling. He turns me into such a girl. "Yes, you may."

Grinning, he takes my hand in his, while juggling my school books in the crook of his arm.

"You better not drop those."

"Don't worry, I have a good grip," he assures me, giving my hand a small squeeze.

We reach my classroom and I reluctantly let go of his hand, missing the feeling of his palm pressed against mine

We reach my classroom and I reluctantly let go of his hand, missing the feeling of his palm pressed against mine. "I'll see you later."

"You betcha." He hands me my books and gives me a sweet peck on the lips. And then he's off, headed to his own class.

I try not to watch him go.

***

"It's been a while, Shelby, how are you doing?"

I meet Dr. Lewis's eyes. "I'm good."

"Want to elaborate?"

"Actually I have a question of my own to ask you."

She leans forward, curiosity taking over. "Please do tell."

I smile slightly, excited to be the 1 in charge. "I know it's confidential to ask about other patients, but you see someone I met seemed to know a lot about me and I was wondering if he was a patient of yours too."

"What's his name?"

Well since she asked, I might as well tell her. "Levi Cruze."

Her perfectly penciled eyebrows shoot up. "My nephew?"

Now my eyebrows shoot up, as my heartbeat quickens. Thump, thump, thump. "Your nephew?"

"Yes, my sister, her husband, and son Levi just moved to town."

"OH," is all I could say.

"Makes sense that you have met Levi. He is around your age."

I'm surprised that I manage to find my voice. "Did you tell him about me?"

She seems taken aback, maybe also a little insulted with wrinkles forming between her eyebrows. "I do abide by the laws, Shelby. All of my patients' private information is confidential, including yours."

"But what about regular information on me, like my name, my background... did you tell him that?"

"I don't think so."