Chapter Eighteen

The window squeaks as I open it causing me to wince. I hope no one heard that. Holding my breath, I crawl onto the roof, the instant cold hitting me right in the face. I zip my coat up to my chin and then make my way to the edge and jump down from the 3-foot drop, landing in slush. Just lovely.

Adrian is waiting for me.
"Why can't they just cancel these outings during the winter? It's frigid, I can't feel my toes."

He shrugs. "Everyone needs to party. Especially in the winter when the days are short, cold, and depressing."

"Hmph," I say, stuffing my hands in my pockets.

He smiles, taking ahold of my elbow and dragging me after him. "Come on. It will be fun."

"I highly doubt it. We'll all turn into ice cubes before our cold brains register that this was a dumb idea and not fun at all."

"Look who's being a bad sport," Adrian smirks, his evergreen eyes twinkling in the dark.

I scowl at him. "Just so you know I'm only doing this for you."

Giving my elbow a little squeeze, he says, "I'm flattered, truly I am."

"Ughhhh."

He smiles--- the 1 that can melt your heart into mush. "Just put a smile onto that pretty face of yours ok? I don't need people thinking that my girlfriend is Miss Grump."

"I am Miss Grump at times and they all already know that."

"Hmmm, that is true."

I shoot insanely sharp daggers at him with my eyes. "Shut up. I'm tired and freezing. I want to go home already."

"After the party sweetheart."

He continues to pull me along, entering the woods, a chill creeping up my spine. I begin to shiver, my 32 teeth chattering together. Brrrrr. I have become a human-shaped ice cube.

We reach our clearing and Ellie and Sierra wave me over, sluggishly I walk over to them.

"Hey," Ellie smiles.

"Hi," I mumble, burying my chin into my coat.

"What's wrong?" Sierra questions.

I look at her, hoping she'll see that I'm annoyed. "What's wrong... is the fact that it's one of the coldest nights of the Winter and you all chose to have a party... a party that's taking place outside!"

Sierra blinks at me. 1-2-3. "You don't have a warm coat?"

"A warm coat won't keep out this cold air

"A warm coat won't keep out this cold air. It's frigid."

She shrugs. "I feel fine. Can't even tell it's cold outside."

"That's because you are warm-blooded," Ellie pipes up. I forgot she was standing here.

"Ellie's right," I say. "You're always hot."