Chapter Twelve

I tug on the hem of my dress for the umpteenth time, before looking back at my reflection. You can still see my knobbly knees, up until mid-thigh. How did I not notice in the store that this dress is mini?

Frustrated, I yank on the hem one more time, stretching it just a tiny bit more. Now, that's somewhat better.

My phone dings, causing me to jump. Heart racing, I snatch my phone off the nightstand and read the text.

Big A- I'm waiting outside, where are you?

Uh oh. I quickly type back.

Little B- Sorry running a bit late. Should be down in a minute...

As fast as I can, I slip on my black- denim jacket and pull on my boots, before making a mad dash down the stairs.

"Heading out," I call to Mom and Dad who are lounging on the sofa watching some TV show. "Won't be back too late."

I don't wait for their response, already stepping out of the house and closing the door behind me.

"Hey, you." Adrian grins, a piece of chewed-up gum peeking out from between his teeth, a habit of his.

I smile. "Hey, got any gum left."

He looks confused, but then a moment later begins to laugh. "Oh, sorry you saw that unpleasant sight." He's then pulling a packet of gum from his charcoal gray slack's pocket. "For the lady."

"Thank you." I take a piece and place it into my mouth, spicy mint lighting up my taste buds.

Who doesn't love gum?

"You look good," Adrian says bringing me away from my gummy thoughts.

"Thank you." I admire the neatly pressed white polo tucked into those charcoal gray slacks. "So do you."

He smiles, taking ahold of my sweaty hand. 2 palms pressed together. "Ready to go?"

I nod and hand in hand we head for Sierra's house where the party is being held. Yesterday, I had to listen to Sierra's and Ellie's argument about who gets to host for a good 4 minutes.

"The party should be at our clearing."

"No, it should be at my house."

"The clearing."

"My house."

And so on... until Ellie gave in. Sierra does have a beautiful house why not let her host this time.

It takes us 15 minutes of walking in silence just the sound of gum being chewed ringing through our ears, until we finally reach the large Victorian-style house. The 2 tall stone pillars are aglow from the porch lights shining on them. This home could definitely make an appearance in some rich small-town folk movie.

Before approaching the stairs Adrian and I spit our gum out in the garbage pail. I once asked Sierra why there's a garbage pail on her lawn and her response was, that people tend to have trash and that that trash should be tossed out before they enter the house.

My boots click as I make my way up the cream-colored stone stairs, my 5 fingers that are not clutched in Adrian's hand trailing along the golden banister. Before we reach the two ginormous wooden doors, Adrian's hand slides out of mine, instead, resting on the small of my back, causing heat to spread through my cool body.

"Think we have to knock, or the door is unlocked?"

"Unlocked." Turning the crystal knob, the doors swing open to reveal the all-mirror foyer. I always hated this room the most, my reflections from all angles frightening me.