Chapter Thirteen

1

1,2

1,2,3

1,2,3,4

Only 4 pills left, which isn't good since I have to take 3 pills a day, 1 at each meal. By tomorrow morning I'll be done. I'm going to need a refill, something that I tend to dread because Mom and Dad usually get upset when I tell them at the last second.

Sighing, I put 3 of the small, yellow pills into a sandwich-size plastic bag, and slip the bag into my backpack. Then swinging the backpack over my shoulder, I head downstairs for breakfast.

Josh is already sitting at the island munching and crunching on a bowl of cornflakes. I ignore him as I walk over to the fridge, and choose some yogurt resting on the shelf. Mom enters the kitchen just as I slide on the stool furthest from Josh.

"Good morning," she says cheerfully.

I don't give Josh the chance to reply. "I need a refill," I spit out as fast as I can. "Can you please get me one?"

Mom's eyes are now solely on me. "Yes, of course. Do you have the pills for today?"

I nod.

"Ok, good. So it's not a big emergency. God willing I'll be able to go pick them up later. Thanks for letting me know."

I expect her mouth to be in a straight, tight line, but she didn't get upset. It's a miracle. Relaxed, I release the death grip on my spoon and begin to eat my yogurt.

Josh starts up a conversation with Mom about the new extracurricular class which is supposed to begin this week. As of yet, no one knows what it is though. I'm hoping it's archery, but that's just wishful thinking.

Finished with my breakfast, I toss the empty yogurt into the trash can and begin to head out.

"Shelby?"

I glance back at Mom.

"No goodbye?"

"Goodbye Mom, have a good day

"Goodbye Mom, have a good day."

"Thank you, you too. Make sure to pay attention in class."

My 2 eyes roll at her. "Always." Then those 2 eyes are settling on Josh, who's doing a terrible job hiding his smirk. "See you at school." I give him a smirk of my own before sauntering out of the room.

***

Adrian is silent, though his footfalls are as heavy as an elephant's.

"Why so quiet?" I ask.

"Bad headache," is his reply. "By any chance are you carrying any Advil on you today?"

Adrian knows that I carry a portable pharmacy in my backpack at all times and he's still asking. Dumbo.

"Hold on," I say.