Chapter Thirty-Five

I drift up the stairs headed for the school gym on the fourth floor. I usually find a way to get out of gym, but today I had no such luck. I was forced to participate in the extracurricular class. With college applications just around the corner, the school wants to make sure all students are doing their bests in all classes. Yay. 

I enter the girls' changing rooms and take my time changing into the light blue t-shirt and shorts provided. I then join the class who are busy jogging around the large, rectangular room.

Inhale-exhale-inhale-exhale-inhale-exhale-inhale-exhale-inhale-exhale-inhale-exhale...

Feet pounding on the hardwood floor. Mouths panting. Hearts thumping. Coach Harding blowing his whistle announcing that we are going to be playing a game of soccer. He goes and splits us into two teams. 

I now face Levi, who goes and flashes me a charming smile. I look away just as one of his teammates kicks the ball. It passes right by me and Kyle gives me a cold look, obviously not happy that I'm not paying attention. I have to try to focus for the sake of my team. 

Taking in a deep breath, I watch the ball roll past me once again. This time I take chase. The other team now has the ball and is making their way toward our goal. I try to join my teammates by blocking them, but Bella goes and kicks the ball right into the net. Her team cheers, while my team releases a groan. 

This game is stupid. I don't get why everyone is so riled up about it. Like seriously.

That's when someone bumps into me, nearly knocking me over. Metallic gray eyes meet mine. 

"You ok?"

"Get off of me." I shove off his hands that have grabbed hold of my arms. "And watch where you are going."

"Maybe if you weren't standing in such a direct spot to the goal people wouldn't bump into you."

I just glare at him and he gives me a lazy grin before getting back to the game.

 My eyes seek out Coach, who's deeply engrossed in some conversation on his phone. I slink away to the girls' changing rooms. I gave gym class a try and now I could really use a cold drink. Something I believe I deserve after giving it all my best. 

I quickly change back into my floral romper before heading to the drink vending - machine on the other end of the hallway. Pulling out a wad of cash from my pocket, I pay for a pink lemonade and then make my way back to the girls' changing rooms, where I plop down on 1 of the steel benches, taking small sips of my drink as I wait for the class to be dismissed.

Shortly, I hear Coach blow his whistle and feet shuffling. Girls stream into the changing rooms, all sweaty. Ellie and Sierra join me on the bench. 

"You show up a bit late and leave early. How do you think that will affect your grades?" Ellie eyes me.

I shrug.

"Do you not care about college?" Sierra asks as she slips off her sweaty t-shirt and shorts, changing into her tie-dye mini dress.  

"I have good grades."

She raises an eyebrow. "Good enough to get you into a top college?"

"Who says I want to go to the top college? Maybe I want to go to a community one close by."

"I'm leaving this place," Ellie states. "Going to join Robin."

"Good for you," I say, taking a sip of the too-sweet lemonade. 

"So you really have no interest in college life?"  

I look at Sierra and sigh, "I never said that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have literature class now."