Chapter 25: A promise you can't keep

Finn's pov:

Millie and I stepped out of the airport, to be greeted by the Atlanta air. I inhaled deeply, I sure am gonna miss this place.

Earlier was, rather chaos, with Ava clutching tightly to my right leg, preventing me from walking out the door.

At her action... I made a promise that I knew I couldn't keep.
___________________

"Stay longer please!" Ava exclaimed, her voice cracking up from the sobs that left her throat.

I bent down to Ava's height as she finally let my leg go to wait for me to say something. "But Ava... We need to go to work." I sadly said.

That just made her sobs louder, tears like waterfall, continuously rolled down her rosy cheeks.

"Hey hey, don't cry," I spoke, feeling sympathy for the tiny child that I engulfed in a hug that muffled her cries.

"But-" She hiccuped, "But I won't see you again in another probably a million years!" She drastically said, pulling away from me to look me in the eyes.

I sighed... 'fuck this is gonna be hard.' I looked at my shoulder to Millie who is talking to Kelly, 'guess this is my responsibility now.'

I looked back to Ava's tearful gaze, that somehow made me a bit emotional in the inside.

Then she wrapped her small arms around my neck, as she buried her nose into my neck.

"I know you guys have to leave... but can you promise me something, atleast?" She negotiated, her voice muffled.

I nodded my head, "Okay then, tell me princess Ava. What would you want to make me keep a promise?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"That when Christmas arrive's you're gonna be here, dressed up as Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, then we all would then open presents together. Also... You have to bring your family with you too, cause that would be fun." She said, while grinning from ear to ear.

I am left stunned by her words, a pang of like a knife stabbed me to the heart as she separated from me, then giving me one last hug, not giving me a time to say something than to ponder about it.

I watched as Ava, also hugged Millie goodbye then back to her mother's side, who caressed her back to lessen the cries Ava have.

"Thank you, Kelly. I'm really thankful that you let me stay in your lovely home." I thanked Kelly before walking out the door with Millie.

Ava gave me a look... A look that clearly say's 'A promise is a promise'. At that I shoot them both a small smile.
__________________

"Hey? you alright?" I snapped out of my thoughts, when I felt Millie's touch on my shoulder, speaking to me softly in worry.

"Of course... Why wouldn't I?" I said forcing a smile, that hopefully she would buy.

And her being Millie... She saw right through my lies, "Alright, cut the bullshit Finn, Clearly something is bothering you, and I can't help if you don't tell me what it is." She snapped.

My eyes widened, as I heard a curse word leave her mouth. Yeah, she does throw a bit of swear words here and there but I can't help but still feel a bit surprised by it.

"What do you do if you can't keep a promise?" I sighed, giving in.

She looked at me in confusion at the sudden question, but I did not make a gesture of expanding my statement and just waited for her to say something.