six; livin' on a prayer

Puck was finally out of juvie and was bragging about how he "owned the place." Santana, seemingly lovestruck by this, had her legs draped over his lap and was completely enticed by him. This distracted her from everyone else, leaving Vee to sit next to Sam and Kurt mostly out of disgust.

"Your ride's back," Sam commented, eyeing Puck and Santana.

"Santana can't seem to get her legs off him," Kurt rolled his eyes. "What does she see in him?"

Vee looked at the two of them, how they were so casual about everything and how they still managed to find their way back to each other. Far from romantic, considering it was all sex.

It was a trainwreck, but Vee couldn't keep her eyes off it.

"I don't know, Kurt. Maybe it's the steroid-filled biceps, or that squirrel on his head, or the super cool bike or the bad boy look — " Vee stopped herself before clearing her throat. Sam frowned slightly while Kurt opted to look her up and down as if something was wrong with her. "I honestly don't know how he could get someone as hot as Santana."

Kurt put a hand out and shook his head to stop her from fawning over Santana. He turned to Sam, "All summer I had to deal with her blabbing about how hot Santana is. Almost like last year with — "

He stopped himself instantly when he realised what he was revealing. Vee's terrified expression clarified that and Kurt remained silent. It lingered for a little too long, and it was clear that Sam noticed something was wrong.

The sudden tug in her stomach, the lump in her throat threatening to get out, she was picking at her Cheerios skirt once more just to try and calm herself down. The panic was settling in, and Sam was the last one she wanted to know about it.

Breathing in slowly, she smelt Sam's cologne and the artificial scent of her Cheerios uniform. The familiar fragrance of lavender shampoo and Victoria's Secret perfume filled her lungs, and she somehow managed to keep calm under Sam's watch.

Sam looked around, confused as to what just happened. But he went back to normal instantly. "Ignoring that, have you guys noticed that matching bracelet she has with Brittany?"

It was almost as though Sam had the same idea about them. But considering he thought Vee was straight, his gaydar wasn't exactly on point.

"It's so cute. I would love to get that with someone on day," Vee gushed. "I'm going to assume you're in," she turned to Kurt.

He nodded wordlessly before crossing his arms with a guilty expression on his face. Vee mouthed it's okay to him and flashed a quick smile before turning back to Sam.

"All right, guys, let's get down to business," Mr Schue announced, walking into the choir room. "First, let's welcome back Noah Puckerman."

Everyone applauded Puck's return as he sat there with a smug expression plastered on. Santana clapped the loudest, smirking while adjusting her very uncomfortable sitting position.

"Puck, I hope your time in juvie has taught you a lesson or two about right and wrong."

"Are you kidding me? I ruled that place. All I did was crack skulls and lift weights all day," he replied with Santana swooning.

Vee could swear she could hear Quinn whisper — Wow, what a catch, can't believe I ever let you go. And judging by Santana's narrowed eyes and Puck's faltered expression, she was probably right.

"And now, drum roll, Finn. Because I have in my hand our competition for Sectionals next month." Now eager to know, the glee club cheered as Mr Schue opened the envelope.