thirty four; love story

Valentine's Day was officially Vee's new favourite holiday.

Granted, this was her first Valentine's Day in a relationship, but she was loving how it was so far. She and Sam had been hanging out a lot more (if that was even possible), and she'd secretly planned a date to Colour Me Mine, she knew how much he loved it. He was so good at art that his art teacher heavily suggested him applying to art school. And he wasn't even a senior.

Sitting in the choir room, all the couples were perched next to each other, excitedly making plans for Valentine's Day. Kurt sat miserably at the piano, and in an attempt to cheer him up, Vee and Sam sat with him. In a sea of couples taking pictures romantically and disgustingly shoving their tongues down each other's throats (looking at you, Finn and Rachel), Vee thought he could use some company.

"How's Blaine doing?" Sam asked, his voice filled with concern.

"He's recovering," Kurt replied with a thin-lipped smile.

Watching Kurt's solemn expression, she had an idea. "Hey, I know what'll cheer you up," Vee patted his shoulder, pulling out two heart-shaped boxes of chocolates. "I found these under our seats."

"Yeah, they're really good, by the way," Sam said, taking another one out of the box.

Kurt took one, unwrapping it and eating it. He only did it to humour them, he was too bummed out about Blaine to even think about treating himself to some chocolate. Vee gave him a look of reassurance, hoping it would bring his mood up. She knew he needed support, and as usual, no one was really giving it to him.

Walking into the room as Rachel played the drums (and they said she was bad at playing instruments), Mr Schue wrote down 'Worlds Greatest Love Songs' on the board. "Okay, everybody, let's hear it for love!" Mr Schue announced as they clapped. "Your assignment for Valentine's week is to find and perform the world's greatest love songs. Now, Regionals is next week, and we still need to raise $250 for costumes and hairspray."

"Oh God, not another bake sale. I'm getting war flashbacks from the amount of Mary Jane I took," Vee said with a look of distress. Sam was extremely confused, but Kurt shook his head, telling him not to question it.

Mr Schue continued with his announcement, trying to ignore the horrified looks of the students. "If any student gives ten dollars, we will sing these 'World's Greatest Love Songs' to their Valentine. We will serenade each classroom — "

A loud string of 'no's' cut him off, Rachel being the only one encouraging his idea. Bad memories were brought up as they remembered the last time they serenaded classrooms, with the constant heckling being quite the confidence destroyer. Vee got hit with a shoe and it had left a mark, leaving a now barely visible bruise on her arm. Whatever pumps that math teacher was wearing was really strong, she'd give her that.

"Two years ago, we went room-to-room Christmas carolling, they threw food," Tina informed the newbies.

"And shoes," Vee mumbled, rubbing the spot where she got hit. It somehow still stung after all this time.

Standing up, Sugar took out a wad of cash from her purse. "Here's a spoonful of Sugar for you all: Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff when you're rich. So, here you go," she handed it to Mr Schue.

"That's a lot of cash," she whispered to Sam, staring at it with wide eyes.

"Sugar, I can't take that," he shook his head hesitantly.

"Take it!" Kurt demanded as Vee nodded. If he didn't want it, she wasn't opposed to taking it for herself.

Mr Schue reluctantly did so. "Everyone, give it up for Sugar for paying for our FinalNet and cumberbunds!" he announced with them applauding her as thanks. They really didn't want to serenade anyone, and she saved Vee from further scarring and bruising.