nineteen; jar of hearts

Matt Rutherford was back for a week, and Vee had a dinner date with him, Mike, and Tina. She was undoubtedly excited, having a three-hour-long call with Kurt and Mercedes to tell them all about it.

Prom was this week. The glee club was performing there, much to Mr Schue's chagrin, and because she supported Rachel during their original song dispute, she got to sing a duet with her. The only problem was getting a date, the person she actually wanted to go with was still unsure about his situation.

She rushed over to their table at Breadstix, a smile plastered on her face. But only Tina and Mike sat there, making her falter for a second.

"He's running a little late," Tina explained.

She let out a sigh. "I'm so nervous, I mean, I haven't seen him in so long."

"Well, good luck. Something tells me he might just ask you out," Mike said teasingly.

"But what about Sa — "

"What about Sam?" Tina interrupted. Realising she was too hard on her, she softened. "Look, most people in glee club know about the Sam thing, and I just think it would be good if you explored your options, just so you know you're a total catch."

Vee smiled at the compliment but looked to Mike for help about the Sam part. He shook his head. "Tina's right. You might need to move on."

At that moment, Matt decided it was the perfect time to stroll into the restaurant. Spotting his once best friends, he walked quickly towards them, hugging everyone and giving Vee a kiss on the cheek, making her blush.

"I've missed you," she smiled sweetly, taking her seat once more.

"Me too," he smiled back, sitting next to her. "So, what'd I miss?" he asked.

"I guess I'm cool with Quinn now," she laughed, not knowing why. "And we won Regionals."

Matt nodded. "I bet you guys are gonna win Nationals."

"I certainly hope so," Vee replied.

"Hey, Vee, did you tell Matt about prom coming up?" Tina asked, hiding her smirk.

"Oh, yeah. I totally forgot," Vee replied, lying. Tina knew what she was doing. "Like Tina said, the prom is coming up really soon."

"Do you happen to have a date to said prom?" he asked her.

Vee could feel her heart racing. This was everything she ever wanted last year, sophomore Vee would've been very jealous.

Vee didn't know whether she wanted to take him. As friends, sure, though it would be extremely awkward as they hadn't talked in a year. But it seemed as though Tina and Mike wanted her to take him as a way to move on from Sam.

But did she want to? His humour and his perfect smile made her melt every time she was around him, but he could disregard her feelings a lot. And it hurt her a lot. But wasn't he even going? Money was tight, and he could've made the choice to not go to prom. And even if he was able to go, would he ask her? She didn't know, but this was a good way to move on, just like Tina said. There was no time for what-ifs.

"Not yet," Vee answered his question.

"Well, I'm free. I could always be your date," Matt smiled at her.

"That would be great," Vee laughed uneasily. "I'll think about it," she replied.

Tina and Mike looked slyly at each other, their plan was working. Sure, Sam was a good guy, but he'd been toying with Vee's emotions so much that they just got sick of it.