forty six; broadway baby

Vee had never once in her life thought that she would see her best friend lay with scars covering his face on a hospital bed.

But there she was, sitting anxiously as she watched Kurt attempt to sit up, groaning softly as to not make her even more concerned than she already was.

"I'm fine," he said quickly when Vee moved an inch to help.

"No, you're not," she sighed heavily as she sat on the foot of his bed, setting a basket on top of it.

"What's this?" he questioned curiously as Vee pushed it towards him.

"Gift basket," she simply said, slowly scratching and picking at her jeans. Old habits die hard.

He frantically opened it as fast as he could (which wasn't at all fast, but she liked his determination), excited to see what she'd brought for him. An overdramatic gasp soon escaped his lips as he held out the eye cream he had requested the week before.

"You know me so well," he said, placing a hand to his heart.

"This cost me a ton of money, even when cashing in my employee coupons," she quietly laughed. "You owe me."

"I'm on my deathbed," Kurt glared sarcastically, rummaging through the contents of the rest of the gift basket, finding banana milk, a copy of Charade, and a new scarf. "Red scarf, really?"

So maybe Vee was analysing every bit of Taylor Swift's new album, and maybe she projected the detailed analysis onto her closest friend, sue her.

"Are you saying you'll never wear it?" Vee asked, but before she said anything else Kurt stuffed the scarf under the sheets. "I'll take that as an apology."

"Don't expect any other ones soon," he scoffed.

"How I've missed your cheerful self," Vee responded sarcastically before handing him a pair of sunglasses. "Sam asked me to give this to you. Said something about wanting you to look stylish while hiding the scar."

"Sam, huh?" Kurt asked with an amused expression as he took the sunglasses.

"And what about Sam?" she questioned further.

Kurt shrugged smugly, a smirk tugging on his lips as he refused to tell her what was on his mind. But as she persisted further, she threatened for the gift basket to disappear, and he finally gave in, sighing as he told her the secret he, Mercedes, Blaine, and Artie kept.

"You two have been spending a lot of time together. And it's just that a couple of us think you two are absolutely perfect for each other and should get back together, maybe get engaged like me and Blaine," Kurt said painfully slowly, engraving every word into Vee's mind.

"Engaged?" she questioned with furrowed eyebrows.

The marriage conversation had been had with Sam too many times to count, and she'd had the same answer — if the person was the one she loved the most, she'd agree to marry him or her. But most of the time, she never thought about who that person would be.

It was only now that she started to see Kurt's point.

Throughout her high school years, she kept a mental checklist of qualities she wanted in a partner — funny, respectful, and sweet. Not only did Sam meet all the above criteria, but he'd also added on new categories that needed to be fulfilled by a new partner.

He was fun-loving, talented, caring, smart, and he understood her. He understood her humour, her ambition, her interests, everything about her. And though they didn't always agree on everything (the subject of Hello Kitty being overrated came up a lot), they compromised. They were the perfect couple.