eighteen; go your own way

She stood at the doorway, scared for what was to come. Her pink jacket stayed zipped up as she let out a shaky breath. Opening the door, she found her mother sitting on the sofa, watching Gossip Girl.

"Hey," Vanessa looked back at an uneasy Vee. "Why's your jacket zipped up?"

"Mom, I have something I need to tell you," she said, looking down at her feet. Vanessa switched the TV off, patting the seat next to her as an invitation.

"Being a part of glee club showed me that I should be who I am. I shouldn't hide from everyone in fear, I have to be who I am," Vee looked down at her hands, unzipping her jacket slowly. "I'm bisexual," she said as the shirt showed.

Vanessa stared at her with her mouth slightly agape, looking at the white T-shirt. She then embraced her.

Vee was taken aback at first but reciprocated the hug after realising she was accepted. "I'll always love you, you know that, right?" Vanessa whispered as she combed through her hair.

"Yes," Vee whispered back, squeezing her eyes shut as to not get so emotional.

The rest of the night was spent as usual, watching teen dramas and sipping on iced teas. She appreciated the normalcy, she didn't like people treating her different just because she came out.

It felt almost too delicate, like she would break if they were even a little too harsh with her. She preferred people seeing her for the person she was, the same one as before.

...

"Thanks for doing this," Sam said as Vee sat on the bed.

"Of course, I really needed to get rid of these anyway," she replied, taking out a Barbie doll from her backpack.

The motel room was dim, the lights flickering every now and then. It turned out the secret that Sam had been hiding all those months ago was that his father was on the brink of losing his job. She was surprised that she didn't figure it out, considering she'd dropped him off at his house multiple times before. But she had driven away so fast in embarrassment when dropping him off she didn't see the 'for sale' sign outside the house.

Sam trusted her enough to confide in her. And ask for her help in babysitting. He had two younger siblings that he needed help with, and she was happy to do so. She needed to get rid of her old dolls, and Stacey, his younger sister, needed a distraction.

She combed through the raven hair of her favourite doll, smiling to herself. Straightening out the shimmering gold jacket, she handed the doll to Stacey.

"Wow, she's pretty," Stacey said in amazement.

"Her name's Raquelle. And she is by far, the best doll of all time," Vee smiled at the girl.

"Even Barbie?"

"Especially Barbie," Vee replied, taking a bag filled with doll clothes from her backpack. "Take good care of her, she was my favourite."

"Thank you," Stacey smiled sweetly at her, running to the bed to catch the latest episode of an animated show.

"She really likes you," Sam stared at his sister playing with Raquelle.

"Yeah? I like her. I like doing this," Vee smiled at the girl.

She was good with kids. Babysitting after the plane crash gave her experience in that department. She had no siblings, her parents never wanted more than one. "You're the only one I'd ever need, my supernova," her dad used to tell her to prevent questions about siblings. Supernova. Her dad loved calling her that, he justified it by saying she was 'brighter than everyone else in the world' and 'exploding with talent.' Supernova was the first big word she learnt, and she'd forever cherish it.