forty; take my breath away

Vee could safely say that prom this year was going far better than the last.

As she danced along to the tunes of the glee club with her friends all around her, she felt pure joy. Sure, the dinosaur theme was unorthodox, but it came together quite nicely. And sure, Rachel might've organised an anti-prom which was pretty much a pity party for her choking at her NYADA audition, but most of her friends were at the real prom. And it was an absolute blast.

She wore a sparkly gold off-the-shoulder dress, one she'd found and modified from her attic. She had a bright shade of red coating her lips, a much lighter pink on her cheeks. Her eyelids were shining just as bright as her dress, with the gold glittery eyeshadow showing prominently along with her winged eyeliner. Her hair was done in an updo, an Old Hollywood inspired look done by her mother, who ended up being phenomenal at hair and makeup. She felt like a million bucks.

"Have I mentioned how beautiful you look?" Sam asked as they walked into the room.

"About fifty times," she replied, linking their hands together. "You don't look so bad yourself."

They both went towards the punch bowl feeling parched from the drive there. Sue eyed them carefully, glaring at them as they took the punch.

"We're not trying to spike your punch bowl," Vee nervously glanced at Sam as she told Sue, but her paranoia ceased to stop.

After careful deliberation, she decided that they were right. "Move it, Macaulay Culkin stunt double. You too, C-3PO," Sue ushered them aside.

"Is it just me, or is she more paranoid this year?" Vee asked jokingly.

"It's not just you," he whispered back as Sue glared at them, gesturing that she had her eyes on them.

Stumbling on her too-tall heels, she dropped her drink and groaned in annoyance. Turning around to get more, she quickly turned away once Sue shook her head threateningly.

"Aren't you supposed to be the dancer?" he asked as he carefully hid his laughter.

"You try walking in five-inch heels," she grumbled. After watching his still amused expression, she rolled her eyes. "I'm trying to be the same height as you."

"Yet you still aren't," he bit back a laugh as she glared at him. "Wow, the glare's even scarier than Sue's," he said with a hint of sarcasm in his voice, taking a sip of his punch.

"You're lucky you're cute," she mumbled.

"If looks could kill," Santana commented with a smirk as she walked up to Vee. She wore a red dress similar to the one she wore the previous year, yet she still looked show-stopping. "Your dress is gorgeous," she complimented as she stared at the gold dress.

"That means the world coming from you," Vee placed a hand to her heart in overdramatic appreciation. "And your dress is so you. You look stunning."

Santana smiled gratefully, curtsying to show off the red dress. She then turned to Sam, looking him up and down. "You know what? I'm seeing your appeal," she nodded approvingly.

"Didn't we used to date?" Sam asked in confusion, knitting his eyebrows together.

Vee's eyes grew wide. He was still very naive to the fact that Santana was using him and was in love with Brittany. She thought he would've caught on by now, but apparently, he still remained blissfully ignorant.

"Uh, she liked your Bieber cut better?" Vee looked to Santana for help as Sam seemed to grow suspicious.

She got the hint and quickly came up with an excuse. "Well, Trouty Mouth, I would love to stay and chat, but Venus and I have a song to sing," Santana offered her arm up, and Vee took it and linked hers as they prepared for their song.