sixteen; paper rings

It was Regionals week and they only had one song prepared. It was very stress-inducing, but Vee knew she wouldn't get a solo, so it didn't matter anyway. She just wanted to be perfect, if not, they would lose.

"We have a single song prepared for Regionals. I don't have a good feeling about this," Vee said, fiddling with her fingers.

"Relax, we'll be fine. Mr Schue probably has a plan," Mercedes responded.

"Probably?" Vee stared at her.

"Let's be honest, Mr Schue rarely has a plan," Mercedes replied to a shrug from Vee. She was unfortunately right, Mr Schue didn't know what he was doing. Vee liked him, though, he was one of the best teachers at the school.

Just then — with a solemn expression on his face — Mr Schue made an announcement. "Guys, I've got some bad news. You know how we decided on 'Sing' by My Chemical Romance for Regionals? Well, I hold in my hand a cease and desist letter from the band. We can't do it," Mr Schue sighed, clearly disappointed.

"It was the perfect anthem," Puck scoffed with a frown.

"How much do you want to bet Coach Sylvester has something to do with this?" Mercedes asked exhaustedly.

"One step ahead of you," Mr Schue sighed, explaining how Coach Sylvester somehow got a cease and desist letter from My Chemical Romance.

How Sue managed to do things, Vee had no clue. She seemed to have connections and a lot of luck on her side, but she also had killer ambition. That was probably the only thing Vee admired about her.

"So what are we going to do now?" Mercedes asked.

"I think we should write original songs for Regionals," Rachel suggested.

Santana scowled. "All those in favour of voting Rachel down a second time?" Everyone raised their hand.

Vee's lips quivered. She was contemplating siding with Rachel. "I-I think Rachel has a point." Everyone's head snapped towards Vee, some people looking more confused than others.

"Me too," Quinn said, taking all the attention away from Vee. "This team works best when we push ourselves and do something a little different."

"That's true, but if all the other teams are doing amazing songs we're not going to be so good," Mercedes fought back.

"We'll be better," Vee defended, turning to Mercedes. "It'll be more personal since we're using our own words. We're all really talented, and this would be a great way to challenge ourselves."

"Exactly," Quinn took a brief glance at Vee. "We have a really talented songwriter in our midst. Rachel, I was thinking maybe you and I could write a song together," Quinn said with a warm smile. Rachel looked stunned, a light blush covering her cheeks, but she bought the act. Vee, on the other hand, saw right through it. Her faux smile didn't reach her eyes and her suggestion seemed out of the blue. She had this sixth sense when it came to Quinn, she assumed it had stemmed from all the drama.

"I'm with Vee, Quinn, and Rachel," Finn spoke up. "I mean, if these three can agree on something, it's probably an idea worth considering."

"Also, if those two get a shot at writing songs, other people should, too," Vee shot back.

Sam nodded in agreement. He only took a small glance at her, however. "Vee's right. We can do this."

"What do you think, Mr Schue?" Mercedes asked, with everyone now eager to write their original songs.