thirty; all i want for christmas

It was that time of the year — the time for presents and cheer, snow and plastic trees. The New Directions were going to appear on all of Lima's screens for a Christmas special directed by Artie (according to Quinn). Vee couldn't really care less, she just wanted to go home, watch Die Hard with her mom and cat, and eat those incredible German cookies they made.

She was still the only one to not rejoin The New Directions. It was too hard to face — seeing Sam and Mercedes just replayed Santana's words over and over in her head. She dated Sam over the summer. It hurt to hear. However, she did need a national show choir championship. So she came to the conclusion that she would join eventually, but she couldn't go back yet. She in fact did not get her crap together, she saw that now.

Sitting on the floor outside the auditorium, she was reading (yes, she was being serious) a copy of Emma as Rachel's depressing Joni Mitchell song played in the background. She didn't have much else to do, and she liked Emma. It was probably her favourite book.

It soon stopped (thank God, that song was making her feel like she was crying her eyes out to Titanic) and conflicting voices could be heard inside. She really hoped they wouldn't be coming out anytime soon, she liked the peace of the empty hallways. But, unfortunately, conflicting voices led to storm outs. Vee jumped in shock when the door opened and Sam walked out. Crap. He caught her looking at him, she quickly looked back down to continue reading.

"Hey," he said with a thin-lipped smile in an attempt to win her trust.

"Hi," she said to keep peace, not sparing a glance at him. No need for another explosive fight, it was actually quite embarrassing how bomb-like she got.

"You know, we really miss you in there, it's not the same without you," he stated, his hands in his pockets as he stood awkwardly.

"Sure it's not," she replied simply, still trying to focus on the book. She never got any solos and the only thing she contributed to the club (that year) was gossip, so she was sure nothing much changed.

Unsure of how to respond to that, he looked at what she was reading. "Emma. That book's cool," he tried to compliment, though truthfully, he didn't get past the tenth page.

"Yeah," she replied dryly.

Feeling as though the conversation was going nowhere, Sam sighed as he sat next to her, leaning against the locker. Turning to face her, he tried his best to get her to look back at him. She tried her best to keep her heart from beating too fast.

"I know you're really mad at me. And I completely understand. I screwed up, and I will never forgive myself for that. I am so sorry. But all I want is a chance to earn your trust back so we can at least be friends," Sam pleaded with her.

Vee contemplated the decision. She swore off Sam. But, she did mean that romantically, and his offer was purely platonic (she could infer that it obviously wasn't, but she chose to ignore that for simplicity reasons). She also remembered what Santana said about making him work for her trust back, and she was pretty interested in what that equated to. Sam was full of surprises — she just hoped they were good ones this time.

"Fine," she said, her voice clipped as she shut the book.

Breathing out a sigh of relief, he watched as she stared at him in expectance, waiting for his next move. "So, any plans for Christmas?"

That is possibly the worst question to ask her, he thought as he groaned internally. He just hoped she would reply and not leave him right then and there.

Puzzled, she brushed off the feeling as she answered. "I'm gonna go home, eat some cookies, and watch the best Christmas movie of all time with my mom."