thirteen; somebody to love

"You are insane," Vee said to Sam, looking at his new look. She strongly disliked it.

Sam had decided to dress like Justin Bieber. Apparently, he performed at some twelve-year-old's birthday party as Justin Bieber and they loved him. So in an effort to win Quinn back, he came to school in a purple hoodie and a distressing haircut.

"Justin Bieber is cool. Quinn will be all over me once I'm done with this," Sam said, adjusting his hoodie.

Vee had figured out a game plan — never bring the topic of Quinn up. If Sam had brought it up, she would simply deflect. She was good at that.

"I didn't know Quinn was a preteen," Vee said sarcastically.

"Laugh all you want, but this is my shot at getting Quinn back," he said. "You don't think she cheated on me, right?"

Vee swallowed thickly. She looked down, formulating an answer in her head. He would see right through her if she lied, and he would be crushed if she didn't.

"Vee?" he asked for assurance. He wasn't going to get it.

Well, the plan was failing miserably.

"Honestly? I think she did," Vee said, staring at the ground. She didn't dare look at him, the hurt creeping up to his eyes. "I think she cheated on you."

"I get it," he chuckled. "I trust you. But I trust her more. I'm sorry."

"Don't be," she shook her head. "I just really don't think that'll work."

"Hey, I bet if Puckerman dressed up like him you would love — "

"If who?"

Sam was probably the most clueless person in the entire glee club. She had never had feelings for Puck. Ever. Even Finn caught onto that, and he was usually the more clueless of the two.

"Don't you like him?" Sam asked expectantly.

"Wh-no! No, no, no. I do not like Puck. I-I could never like Puck. That's just gross," Vee said in disgust, stopping herself from rambling.

"I just, you guys had a moment before the wedding," Sam shrugged. "It seemed like you were pretty into each other."

"You heard all that?" Vee questioned.

"Santana dragged me over there, and ... that's not the point. You seemed like you were, you know, pining after him," he said quietly.

"Pining?" Vee asked in disbelief. "I-I don't like him. Seriously, I thought this whole thing was over by now. And I know, he caught me when I slipped on butter. That doesn't mean I'm into him. And he obviously loves Lauren after he serenaded her with that song. And I am not pining after him. I'm not pining after anyone else, despite what everyone else thinks," Vee ranted. freezing once she realised what she had said.

"Anyone else?" Sam asked, a smirk suddenly forming on his lips. "You didn't tell your best friend about your crush?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Bieber," she crossed her arms, turning away from him. This would (hopefully) make her lie seem believable.

"You really need work on your lying," he teased her, walking towards the choir room. "Feel free to call me once you've gathered up the courage to tell me about your mystery man."

Damn it. He said that a little too loud.

Vee walked in awkwardly, eleven pairs of eyes staring at her. She quickly took a seat next to Tina, her eyes glued to the choir room floor. Tina looked to Mike, patting Vee on the back in an effort to comfort her.