twenty; dancing queen

Everyone has been rejected. Some rejections more painful than others. Everyone has been humiliated in front of an audience. Well, maybe not everyone, but the second-hand embarrassment was enough to say that they have.

A large portion of the New Directions were feeling like absolute crap on what was supposed to be the most magical night of their Junior year lives. Finn got kicked out of prom entirely after getting into a fight with Jesse, about the same time as Matt left. Quinn was left distraught and stormed out, Rachel following her closely behind. Santana was still using Karofsky as a beard, terrified of confessing her feelings for Brittany. Kurt got the worst of it, winning prom queen as a cruel, twisted joke. He ran out of the gym in a blur of tears, Blaine following him.

So as Kurt sulked in the hallway, Santana in the choir room, and Quinn in the bathroom, Vee did so in the corner of the room. She tore out her corsage, staring at the lilacs as they fell ever so slightly. Her face was covered in streams of mascara and a glittery shade of purple as a result of all the crying.

Matt had left her. It was so hard to repeat that, yet she couldn't stop. He probably went back to his hotel room, told his parents that they could leave a couple of days early. She'd broken his heart. And she felt just as bad as him. She couldn't say that it was idiotic of him to believe she was still infatuated with him, because she was idiotic for believing that Sam felt the same. She'd led him on, agreed to go to prom with him, faked laughter and smiles, all to fill the void within her.

She had messed up badly, Matt would never want to see her again. Could she even blame him? She'd spent the night staring at Sam, watching him with a deadly glare as he danced with his date — her best friend.

Her best friend, someone who she didn't want to see at all. It felt like such a betrayal, but was it? The correct answer was no. Sam didn't belong to her, he could do whatever he wanted. She would just have to accept that she was in the wrong and Mercedes shouldn't feel bad about taking him to prom. And she was so stupid about it too — pretending it was okay, pretending that she didn't mind her best friend taking her crush to prom. Everyone — even Jesse St James — knew it was a lie. Except for the clueless crush. As always, he was blissfully ignorant of her feelings.

But God, Mercedes looked gorgeous, certainly more so than Vee did. She couldn't blame Sam for wanting her. The beautiful pink dress was a million times more beautiful than hers. On the other hand, Vee looked like she got run over by a truck. A monster truck.

She couldn't help herself, she was staring again. At Sam. At how gorgeous he looked with someone else. Maybe Mike and Tina were right, she needed to move on from the boy. But her heart stopped her, she'd dug herself a deep hole.

Her eyes flickered away from him, the quietness of the room sinking in. Their last song was towards the end of the night, so the soft instrumentals of royalty-free music played in the background. Even with the lack of sound, nobody noticed her in the corner. Not a single person pouring punch into their red solo cup saw a fluffy pastel dress next to a wall, relishing in its misery.

She wiped a tear with a red napkin, smudging her carefully done makeup. It didn't matter, it was smudged anyway. She exhaled deeply, watching Quinn and Rachel walk back in with smiles on their faces. At least one of the four could work it out.

"Your date left you?"

Her eyes snapped towards the source of the voice, realising it was Sam. She attempted to give him a smile, but she couldn't force it out. Sam noticed how miserable she was, so he slumped down next to her in an effort to make her feel just a little bit better.