VIII - Negotiations

The day had gone quickly since Sapnap barged his way through Dreams door this morning. I had been in the garden checking over my weapons after George had returned them to me.

I hadn't seen Dream since breakfast which was eaten in silence. I figured he was avoiding me after what had happened last night. I wondered if Dream had shown his face to Sapnap and George but guessed he hadn't by how quickly he went to cover his face again.

No-one had spoken about what Sapnap had seen except from a few stupid remarks from himself which Dream quickly silenced. I couldn't tell if he regretted showing me or simply had better things to do.

I stood up sliding my items back into my belt, it was about mid afternoon, just a couple hours till I would have to get ready for the negotiation with Dream.

I swiveled on my feet and started walking in the direction of the house, I watched as I flattened daisies under my boot. I started to speed up as I crashed into someone, causing me to fall flat on back on the grass.

"Ow" I muttered as I sat up to see who I had walked into.

Dream. Of course it was. He chuckled "To think you're a trained killer, and I defeated you so easily" I raised an eyebrow and rolled my eyes before grabbing his hand he had held out to me.

However instead of using his hand to help me up, I pulled him down to the ground with me. He swept right off his feet, his mouth making an 'o' shape in shock. He lay face down in the grass as I laughed at him, after a second he regained his senses and began laughing along with me. He rolled over onto his back and watched the sky.

"Has Sapnap seen your face?" I blurted out, not knowing how he would react to the question. Surprisingly he seemed calm, I was almost expecting him to be angry and leave again.

"No, George hasn't either" He spoke, answering my next question. "Only my family" he paused, sitting up to look at me. "and, you"

A moment of silence fell over us. I watched his mask, I wasn't sure what he was looking at, but it was directed at me. I frowned out of thought. He seemed to notice and tilted his head.

"We still have a couple hours until we go to see Tommy and Wilbur, do you want to do anything? His fingers fiddled with the grass at his side. I found myself wanting to reach out, hold his hand in mine but I quickly banished the thought.

I need to do something to take my mind off things, but I didn't want Dream to go. I found myself liking his company, although he had kidnapped me, it was nice to be by someone who fought like me, thought like me, was like me.

"Let's train" I said standing up and holding my hand gingerly to him. He gladly took it and pulled himself to his feet.

"Give me five" I nodded as he ran back inside the house. I stood arkwardly not knowing how to stand. Eventually he ran back out, weapons in hand, he threw them down on the grass and looked up at me, grinning. "Which weapon first?"

~

I swung first towards his legs hoping to trip him. Dream jumped over the blade with inches to spare. Impressive for a guy in armor.

He was smiling. The distance between us had grown. I’d have to close the distance if I wanted to strike. Dream was waiting for me to try, so he could step into his own range; He didn’t fear me.
We stared at one another for a long time – the only motion between us were his tests. He raised his sword or stepped his lead foot up to gauge a reaction. I gave him no reactions.

Dream was looking me in the eye. I looked him in the chest. I had to stay focused on myself. Mind games would be too risky given my disadvantages.

Again, he stepped a foot in but this time more boldly. He was trying to train me not to fear his step.
I bit down on my impulse to pull back and acted as if I had frozen. It was the reaction he wanted, but I gave it to him on purpose.