XX - Detour

I rushed past the line of people waiting to collect a state pickaxe. Many people had started work on the wall, I had convinced Niki to follow Schlatts rules much to my relief. I glanced back to see her watching me from the back of the line.

I shot her a reasurring smile before I spun round to continue my path. I reached the front where Quackity was handing out standard pickaxes. He looked up at me before carrying on handing them out.

"Yes?" Quackity didn't stop his job, instead decided to multitask. I started tapping my foot on the ground as I spoke.

"Wheres Schlatt? I need to tell him I'll be gone for a couple days." I was planning on checking on Wil and Tommy and staying for a bit, that would give me plenty of time to catch up with them. Quackity paused for a moment.

"Why? Where are you going?"

"There's a village far north, they have a skilled enchantment wizard, he's an old friend" It wasn't a lie of sorts. It's not like I didn't trust Quackity, but he had become quite loyal to Schlatt recently. If I told him I was visiting Wil and Tommy, I doubt he would keep it to himself.

Quackity nodded then sighed before handing out the last pickaxe. He stood up and watched as the L'manberg citizens started work on dismantling the walls. I gazed over untill I saw Niki, over by a young man with blue and red glasses on. She was complying to my relief.

"Schlatt wants a meeting later, at the white house at 12. You can tell him then"

I smiled at Quackity, the action not returned. His eyes were drooping, he looked troubled. I frowned before touching his arm lightly.
"Hey.. You okay?"

He swallowed before meeting my gaze.

"Yeah I'm just" He moved backwards "tired, I'll see you later" With that he walked away leaving me standing alone. I hated to see him like this. Schlatt may be our elected president but that doesn't mean he was the best choice.

~~~

I pushed open the heavy door easily, heads turning my direction. In the middle of the room was a big mahogany table, stretching across the length of the room. At the head was Schlatt, to his right was Quackity, on his left an empty seat. Various other faces were there but I recognised Tubbo instantly, his baggy eyes exposing his tired state.

I walked down the side of the table, my heeled boots tapping across the wooden floor. I pulled out a seat next to Tubbo and flung my feet up, resting on the table next to me.

A stifled laugh attracted my attention from across the table where Clay stood, leant against the wall.

I raised an eyebrow at him, smirking, as Schlatts voice echoed through the room.

"Nice of you to join us, Y/N." He cleared his throat as everyone looked towards him. Well everyone except from me and Dream. We maintained eye-to-mask contact for a few longer moments before he reluctantly turned to Schlatt. "Now, let's begin. Many of you know the election was won by me, easily if I might say-"

"Just get to the point." I snapped at him. I'm done with his bullshit, I need to get this over with so I can go visit Wil and Tommy.

A low chuckle erupted from his chest as Schlatt sat forward, elbows resting on the table in front of him.
"Where's your respect for your president gone?" I rolled my eyes.

I bit my the inside of my cheek to stop the retorts from barrelling out. I closed my eyes then opened them, smiling sweetly at Schlatt.

My face moulded into a sarcastic frown as I responded.
"Oh of course, Mr president, I'm very sorry" Emphasising the "Very" I sat up slightly, leaning towards the man. I spoke again, harshly this time