Chapter 44

Then there was silence.

Just the wind blowing through the park as if nothing had happened.

To nature, the existence of both superheroes and supervillains did not matter.

Nature didn't care.

Nature stood for balance and even though the scales were slightly tipped, nature knew that it was going to be rebalanced once again.

Good was going to triumph over evil and truth was going to emerge victorious over the lies that threaten to hurt everyone.

But sacrifices had to be made.

Those sacrifices were what kept the balance in the universe.

Those sacrifices mattered and even if life doesn't always give the gifts everyone hopes for, the real gift is life itself.

At least that was what Master Fu had taught them.

Them.

Them-the five heroes that stood around Master Fu's unmoving body.

*********

*Flashback*

"Hang on!"

Carapace had gritted his teeth as he had tried to keep the shield from shattering. Cracks had started to appear and the Sentimonster had shown no signs of retreating.

"CATA-"

"NO!" Ladybug had tied the string of her yoyo around Chat Noir's hand to stop him from calling on his Superpower.

Ladybug had had only two spots left and she had no intention of putting Chat Noir in the same situation she had been in.

Chat Noir had smiled at her understanding the meaning behind her sudden decision to stop him. His hair had reflected the light from the lamps around him and Ladybug had stood there too distracted by his features to notice Master Fu rising to his feet.

The loud CRACK had frightened all of them and they had directed their attention to the top of the shield where a fracture much larger than any other crack had started to form, snaking its way down the side of the shield.

"Lucas! You have to stop this! They're just children!"

Master Fu's voice had cracked at the last word but it had captured Paon's attention. The villain had turned to face his old teacher and the Sentimonster had copied his master's moves. 

The dust had settled quickly and Carapace had put his shield away just when it had cracked and shattered into a million pieces. Carapace had known the dangers of leaving his friends unprotected but his Miraculous had started to give out his first warning and the Sentimonster had still not been defeated. 

"I was a child too, old man! And YOU gave me a Miraculous. YOU told me to go find a suitable wielder for the Peacock Miraculous and look where I am now!"

"You had a choice, Lucas... You still do! It doesn't have to be like this!"

"Oh, it doesn't? Who gave you the right to say that to me? WHO?! YOU took away everything from me! I had to live a life no one wanted to live and I was all alone! Did it look like I had a choice back then?!"

The argument had heated with every passing second and Ladybug's last warning had neared. But before anyone had even had the chance to move a muscle, Paon had directed his Sentimonster towards an unsuspecting Master Fu.

The Sentimonster had flown forward and turned around, striking Master Fu with the side of its stinger. Although the Sentimonster hadn't actually stung him, the force of the blow had sent Master Fu flying backwards into a tree.