dieci

Me and Steve enter the small apartment that Sharon had gave us the tip off on. It's nothing fancy, everything being in the same room. On the floor is a mattress with dishevelled sheets, showing the signs of some pretty intense and horrific nightmares. This was already a clear sign that we were in the right place, Bucky always had trouble sleeping. It also proves that he had been set up, he was in fact in control of his mind.

Steve approaches the fridge and picks up the small notebook that is resting on the top. He has his full suit and shield on, prepared to face whatever and whoever would be against us. As he does that, I hear the faintest noise of another breath and spin around to see Bucky, standing watching it with almost emotionless eyes.

"Do you know us?" Steve asks, hesitantly.

"You're Steve. I read about you in a museum. I've heard things about the Shadow Warrior."

My heart stops for a second. That name was given to me by HYDRA, mine and Bucky's missions were only referred to us as the Winter Soldier and Shadow Warrior. There's the faint Russian accent on Bucky's tongue when he says that so I know for a fact he is lying.

"They've set the perimeter" Sam's voice comes through the radio, giving us a visual on what was happening outside.

"You are lying. You know us Bucky, we aren't here to hurt you" I say with a slight softness to my voice.

"I wasn't in Vienna, I don't do that anymore" he says, not wanting to talk about us.

"They're entering the building" said Sam.

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And... they're not planning on taking you alive" admits Steve.

"That's smart. Good strategy."

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised."

Outside the room, I can hear the footsteps of incoming armed cops. "This doesn't have to end in a fight Bucky."

"It always ends in a fight."

"Five seconds."

"You pulled me from the river. Why?" Steve questions and I pull a confused face. Why is he asking this right now?

"I don't know."

"Three seconds!"

"Yes, you do."

"Breach! Breach! Breach!"

A grenade crashes through the window and Bucky kicks it to Steve who smothers it with his shield. I quickly glance out the window and see cops swinging in. Sliding across the kitchen counter, I time it perfectly to connect my legs with the cop, sending him crashing into the wall. Bucky flips the table against the door and Steve swipes the rug away from under a cop, sending him flying. Grabbing the other cop, Bucky slams them against the wall, knocking them out cold.

"Buck stop! You're going to kill someone!" yells Steve.

I was to slow to stop Bucky and he slammed Steve onto the wooden floor and punches next to his head. "I'm not going to kill anyone."

He grabs a backpack from under the floor boards and chucks it out the window. The pair of them get behind Steve's shield to avoid gunfire and I turn invisible, sneaking on the firing cop and delivering a hard blow to his head before swiping out his feet.

Bucky moves away and uses his metal arm to repel the bullets, slamming cops into walls and knocking them out cold. His hits are hard but always precise, like they had been all them years ago. Somehow I find myself assisting him, fighting side by side, chucking a bruised cop over to him where he slams him into the floor. We start the descend down the stairs and I'm so caught up I lose sight of Steve. It was happening again. I was enjoying this, enjoying hurting people and having Bucky by my side while doing it just kicked me back into old routines.