ventisette

My heart dropped to my stomach and I could see Clint and Nat's crestfallen faces. One of us wasn't going to make it, but which one? No matter how dreadful it may sound, I wouldn't allow that person to be Nat, she wasn't even an option.

Nat silently sits down on a rock and puts her head in her hands, Clint just aimlessly walking back and forward. I stare at the surroundings and I couldn't see the stone anywhere so at least this red faced man wasn't playing a game.

"Maybe he's making this up" Clint spoke after minutes of silence and I kick a pebble along the dusty floor.

"He isn't. The stone is nowhere in sight..." then it hits me, " Merda..."

Nat looks up, "What is it?"

"I should of known, should of pieced it together. Nebula said that Thanos took her sister here and only he returned without her and the stone. She knew... yet she lets us come here without warning. Perhaps because we would of hesitated..."

Clint scoffs and tilts his head back in exasperation. "This is so messed up."

Nat stands up and looks outwards, towards the massive drop. "We have to do this, whatever it takes."

"Whatever it takes" me and Clint say at the same time.

"If we don't get that stone, billions of people stay dead."

Nat comes towards the pair of us and holds our hands. "Then I guess we both know who it's gotta be" I whisper.

"I guess we do" she replies and I chuckle. She frowns, "What are you laughing at?"

"Because, you think that I am actually going to let you jump off that cliff. It's not happening Natasha, thats final."

"For the last five years I've been trying to do one thing: Get to right here. That's all it's been about. Bringing everybody back" Nat argues back and I just shake my head.

"I agree with Ombra ," Clint speaks , "I don't want either of you to, because I– , you guys know what I've done. You know what I've become."

"If you're saying this because you have blood on your hands, you're probably last in the line here. It has to be me, it's obvious" I state and Nat yanks her hands away from mine and looks at me in despair.

"Why?"

"I came into all your lives for a reason, this must be it. I should never have stayed all them years ago but I was always pulled back in. For this."

Nat scoffs and turns away from me. "You came back because I needed you."

Neither of us had noticed that Clint had started to walk towards the end of the cliff. I looked up and my eyes widened in despair but I didn't move. No, because I'm selfish. Sure, I would miss Clint and feel god awful for his family but he had saved the world. he had saved my world.

Nat started screaming and running towards Clint, preparing to throw any of her equipment to stop him from jumping off but I shifted, invisibly and stopped her. I turned back around just in time to see Clint's face, acknowledgment and distraught all over it.

"Tell my family I love them, look after them, please."

I gulped and nodded. "I will, we will."

He turns backs round and stares down at the drop. My chest is tightened and Nat is wriggling to get out of my grip, tears streaming down her face.

And then he's gone.

Natasha's silent tears and gormless stare was the loudest scream I had ever heard. As soon as he had gone there was a bright explosion that sent me and Nat flying and unconscious.