ventuno

I gave the small blonde haired boy a bowl of cereal to pick at and when I went to take the baby off him to feed, he snatched her back. He wouldn't put her down. Nat dragged me into one of the meeting rooms next to the kitchen.

"What the hell were you thinking, Evelina?" she hissed, and I leant across the wall with my arms crossed.

"They were alone on the street, Natasha, I couldn't just leave them! The streets... they're so dangerous and they have no one to care for them because we failed, I will not fail them again."

She seemed taken a back by how passionately I spoke about this and quite frankly, seeing them so young and parentless reminded me of how I was. I was alone and then I got snatched up by the wrong type of people. It was safer for them here.

"We have all this space Nat... we can look after them" I added on more softly, approaching her so were inches apart. She looked up into my eyes and saw I was deadly serious.

"Okay, okay. But you're dealing with the baby" Nat replied with a smirk and I rolled my eyes leaning down to capture her lips in mine.

"Fine, the boy won't let me touch her anyway, plus he doesn't speak."

"He will with time, we need to let him now he is safe and that he can trust us."

My smile becomes wider. "Mamma Nat has arrived."

"Zip it" she warned and I chuckle, pulling her into my chest.

"Thank you" I whisper. " I may reward you later" I added with a smirk that she couldn't see but most definitely feel.

"I look forward to it" she replied, pulling away and walking out the room. I go back into the kitchen and see that the boy has finished his cereal. An idea comes to mind and I run back to the meeting room to grab a pad and pen, so he can write down what he wants to say. I pray he knows how to read and write.

Placing the pad and pen down in front of him he looks up at me, emotionless, his sister still in his arms.

"Do you know how to read and write?" I ask and he nods, making me exhale in relief. "Okay, can you write down yours and your sisters names?"

He picks up the pen, balancing his sister in one arm, righting with his left. He scribbles and then slides the paper over to me. On it is written 'Elijah and Willow Watson'.

I smile, grateful that we have now found a way of communicating. Maybe he just couldn't talk or perhaps it was what Nat said and he just needed to trust us.

"How old are you both?" I question, sliding the paper back for him to reply on.

'I am 7 and my sister is 2 months' Elijah writes down.

"Alright, do you want to feed your sister some milk? Or would you like me to do it?" He points to myself and I just nod, heading to the fridge and finding some milk to warm up. I rummage through the cupboards to find some form of a bottle to feed Willow with. To my annoyance there isn't any so I decide to make a phone call.

"Tony" I greet, phone to my ear.

"Ombra, what can I do for you?"

"It's probably easier to explain with you here. Oh and will you bring a baby bottle? Thanks!" I hurry out at the end, putting the phone down before he can ask questions. I put the milk back in the fridge to keep it until Tony arrives. Nat wanders back into the kitchen after speaking with the others over the system I presume. She was having a hard time not being with everyone since they were our only family. She was also pretty disheartened after she had spoken with Clint who had lost all his family and refused to keep in contact with any of us. It was a difficult life.