Chapter 24

Chapter 24

From Mommy:
Heart, please umuwi ka na dito.

Tinitigan ko ang mensahe ni Mommy sa akin. Matagal pa bago ko ibinalik sa aking bulsa ang cellphone ko.

I sigh and leaned my back on the backrest as I also rested my nape on the headrest. Pumikit ako at sinubukang matulog ulit. It's just Two am in the morning, nagising ako nang makaramdam akong wala na ang presensya ni Chan. Binuksan ko ang cellphone ko para matingnan kung may mesahe ba si Chan pero iyong text lang ni Mommy ang meron.

"U-uhm..."

Napadilat ako ng makarinig ako ng munting ungol na naggagaling sa kung saan naroroon si Lola. I stood up and went to her in a brisk. Nangilid ang mga luha ko ng makitang nakadilat na ang mga mata niya.

"Lola... gising ka na!" I exclaimed. Ang kaninang antok ko ay agarang nawala.

I held her hand and kissed it for how many times, she's just watching me. I want to hear her voice agan, but maybe she can't... yet. Nang mapagtanto kong kailangan kong tumawag ng Doktor ay saka ko pa binitawan ang kamay ni Lola.

"Lola ka lang ha? I'll just call a Doktor to check you."

Akmang aalis na ako ng hawakan niya ang aking palapulsuhan. Lumunok ako saka siya muling hinarap, I squatted a bit and caressed her arm.

"Babalik po ako kaagad." I said, assuring her that I won't leave her for a long time.

She slowly shook her head. I frown a little but didn't protest. Instead of calling a Doctor, I pulled some chair towards me and sat on it, now I am sitting beside where Lola is lying. And I know in that very moment, what will happen next will so painful.

She is still holding my wrist and I didn't bother taking it off me, I missed her touch. She's looking at me intently, kaya di ko maiwasang maiyak. She reached for my cheek when my tears started to fall. Hinawakan ko ang kamay niyang nakalapat sa aking pisnge at hinalikan ito. I can feel how weak she is, I can tell how she's struggling to breath right now. And the way she looks at me...

"M-may iniwan ka ba sa Maynila, Heart?" She feebly said.

I stilled after hearing her question. My eyes watered more, there's a lump in my throat as well that's making it hard for me to gulp, I can't speak without sobbing after uttering a word for sure.

"L-lola, ayaw ko na po doon. I want to stay here with you, I won't leave you... so please d-don't leave me too." I said, I let myself cry, I didn't restrain my own tears from falling.

I want her to see that I am not yet ready, that I can't take it if she'll leave me, that I'll be lost if she'll be gone.

Her eyes sparkled because of her tears, she smiled at me. The most sweet but the most painful smile she ever gave me. I want to shake my head, to scream, to brawl, to demand that she can't die... but I can't. I can't yell at her. I can't stand seeing her suffering more.

"Y-you are so precious. I am so proud of you, dahil sa kakayanan mong umintindi. Mahal na mahal kita, apo."

"If you really l-love me... please don't d-die." I finally said it.

Humugot siya ng malalim na hininga, and I am so nervous and scared of the possibility that maybe she can't breathe anymore. May nakakabit na machine sa kaniya, to help her have enough oxygen that she needed, but I know it's not enough.