17 - Above Everything Else

The air hummed around her as she lay blissfully content in the soft warmth of the rays of sunlight creeping into the room. Her mind danced through the dream of the night before: the brush of his lips, the feather light touch of his fingertips, the music of his laugh. It had felt too good to be true. Surely it was too good to be true.

As the mattress shifted and the comforter was pulled up over her a little more she smiled to herself. She kept her eyes closed as his lips traced along her shoulder, a soft giggle escaping her lips as he brushed her hair back and spoke against her neck.

"Good morning..." She could hear his smile. She knew that his lips would be pulled up to the left as he lazily grinned, pulling away to look at her as she stretched off the sleep. Talia rubbed her face as she smiled, finally peeking through her lashes up at him. His eyes were still sleepy and his hair was messy. Talia reached up and pulled him to her, holding his t-shirt as she lifted herself off of the pillows and met his lips with a contented sigh.

"Good morning Ice-Pop."

"Did you sleep well?" Steve hovered over her as she lay herself back down, reaching up to run her fingers through his bedhead. Before she had a chance to answer the fuzzy sound of atoms shifting around the space shocked her and Steve's head snapped up to see Vision phasing into the room.

When Vision smiled at the two of them Talia threw her hands up to her face, hiding from his watchful eye. Steve groaned as Talia rolled onto her side, her back to their unexpected guest and a deep blush spread over her face.

"Vision! The door?" His eyes were wide as he watched Vision try to contain his smile.

"It was locked Mr Rogers." Vision grinned as he looked between Talia and Steve, pleased with the way Steve remained close to Talia even with him watching them now. "I now see why."

The drip of teasing sass seeped through the space as Steve was caught off guard. Talia couldn't help herself when she heard him. Her laughter was light and carefree as she rolled back over and glanced up at her the most unlikely friend she could have.

"Okay Vis. Thanks for that..." She giggled again as she registered the flustered embarrassment on Steve's face. "Why are you interrupting a perfectly pleasant wake up call?"

Vision smiled at her, feeling a swell of pride and warmth when her gaze returned to Steve, before he regained his composure.

"Mr Stark requests your presence in the meeting room." He informed them, gesturing to the door. "It seems there is new information regarding Matthieu."

At the mention of his name Talia grew cold. She shrank into herself, her chest caving under the pressure of fear, and her heart began a familiar sprint of survival. Steve watched her as she recoiled, her pain and fear tangible, and a spark of anger was fanned into a burning rage. He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her towards him, caressing her as she stared up at him.

"It's okay Runaway." He whispered, his eyes burning into hers. "You're okay."

Vision cleared his throat and offered an apologetic smile. Steve nodded slightly before turning his attention back to the woman in his arms, afraid and desperately trying to cling to the happiness she had felt when she woke.

"I will leave you to get ready." Vision murmured. "Shall I tell Mr Stark you are on your way?"

"Yes," Talia breathed. "Thank you." Her eyes never left Steve and she felt herself finding the calm in the blue of his eyes. "And Vis?"

"Yes Talia?" Vision turned to her as his hand fell on the door handle.

"About this..." Her voice trailed off as Steve smiled at her, leaning in to give her a gentle kiss, easing her worries and her fears with such a simple act.