31 - Promises

"Steven Grant Rogers, I am enamoured with you." Talia's hands shook as she spoke, her voice a tearstained whisper, and Steve brushed his fingers across her neck, over her shoulder. "You have my heart and soul completely. When I met you I was scared and alone and I never thought I would ever find a way out of that." She shook her head as her tears spilled, and she thought over the times he had held her and helped her when she felt the most alone. "But you held me in the darkness. You never gave up on me. You showed me patience and love and compassion."

As Talia gazed up at Steve, Natasha stared at Talia. She watched as her sister's love and joy spilled from her lips and poured through the room for all to see. There was no doubt that the world had designed a path of pain and loss and deep darkness for the two people now stood before their friends and family, professing their love for one another, just to ensure their journeys would bring them to each other. There was no doubt that the very darkness Natasha had escaped, the darkness she had abandoned her sister to, had shaped Talia's heart and made her hard and cold. It had torn pieces from her bit by bit and filled the gaping holes with rage and distrust, and yet there was not a shadow in the world that could eclipse the effect Steve had had on her. He had seen those broken pieces and he had woven threads of gold through each one. He had not attempted to erase the darkness. He had not believed he had needed to. Instead he had embraced it, and Natasha watched as Talia came to life under his gaze. She watched as Talia became someone new; someone with hopes and dreams and plans where fear had festered before. As Talia gazed up at Steve and explained the love she held for him, Natasha stared at Talia and realised that her life was nothing when it was not tied to her sister.

"You are my strength when I am weak," Talia continued as Steve entwined his fingers with hers, "and my happiness and future. You show me what it is to love every day. I loved you when I was scared to and I loved you when you were just the mystery man with a shield." She grinned when he laughed. "I love you now and I will love you always. I vow to stand by you in all of your biggest moments. To hold you when you need to be held, to be your biggest fan and your most honest critic. I vow to always trust you and know you will always protect me even when I don't think I need protecting." Steve smiled knowingly as he brought her knuckles to his lips and kissed her softly. "And I promise I will always, without fail, insist on looking after you even when you don't think you need it. You, my Ice Pop, are my sanctuary and I vow to be yours. Thank you for loving me, for choosing me. Thank you for giving me everything I was scared to want. I am who I am today because I am loved by you and I love you so much. I know that with you beside me I don't have to be afraid of what our future holds because that's the thing: it is our future and that is beautiful." She closed her eyes as Steve moved one hand to her cheek. "I still don't know how I ever got so lucky as to call you mine Steve, but I've been yours this whole time and I always will be."

Steve let out a breath as she opened her eyes and he shook his head. A small smile spread over his lips when he gazed at her and he took a small step closer, ignoring the watchful eyes trained on them both and the small chuckle from Vision who stood before them, guiding them through the ceremony.

"Talia. My beautiful, incredible Talia. I have been yours for a whole lot longer than I realised. When I think back to the day you crashed into my life, bleeding and afraid and still so goddamn sarcastic -" he smirked when she laughed, before taking a twist of flaming waves in his fingers and holding it gently "-I can't help but realise that it's been you all along. Every single step I have taken in my life has been a step towards you." He pushed her hair back over her shoulder and cupped the back of her neck as he spoke directly to her, his voice low and honest and his eyes burning with an intensity that set her entire being on fire. "I love you. I love you in ways I didn't know were possible and I am a better man because I have you."