22 - Fragile

The compound was quiet as Talia threw her keys onto the counter and perched herself on the stool against the breakfast bar. She smiled softly when Steve stood behind her, his hands gently rubbing across her shoulders and down her arms as he placed a soft kiss against her neck.

"You smell like sunscreen and the sea," he mumbled when she sighed, smiling against her skin.

He moved away, humming to himself as she watched him rummage in the refrigerator, searching for something quick and easy to make for them. Her eyes danced over him as she bit her lower lip and watched him pulling out the ingredients for a quick dinner. Domesticity was a good look on her Ice-Pop.

Hopping to her feet she moved to the speaker system installed around the compound and began to flick through lists of songs. At this time of the day Stark was usually blasting AC/DC somewhere in the building, loud enough it could be heard everywhere, so the silence didn't sit well. The silence didn't sit well at all.

"Steve?" She pursed her lips as her fingers stilled over the glowing screen.

"Hmm?" He didn't turn to face her as he responded absentmindedly.

"Where is everyone?" Talia watched as his movement stopped for a millisecond. If she had blinked she would have missed it. But she didn't. And he definitely paused. "They weren't here this morning either."

Steve continued to slice the cucumber in front of him, prepping a small salad for them, as he took a deep breath.

"Weren't they?" His voice was calm; too calm. "I didn't notice."

Nodding slowly, Talia moved to his side. She took the knife from his hand and placed it calmly on the chopping board before turning her back to the counter and folding her arms as she waited.

"Tal-"

"Before you lie to me again," she held a hand up to silence him and closed her eyes, "remember that you're shit at it."

Steve huffed. She knew he hated it when she swore but right now, the day playing through her mind with the darkness of her suspicions hanging over her, she couldn't care less.

She opened her eyes to look at him. His eyes were wide and pleading and he glanced to his feet. He shook his head as he avoided her gaze and she felt the flames of anger rising in her chest.

"Well?" She stared at him.

"They're on a mission." He whispered and she took a deep breath, trying to calm herself.

She felt the bitter sting of tears as anger flamed beneath her skin and she tried to control her voice.

"They're on a mission and I'm - I'm here." She nodded as she pushed herself away from the counter and away from him. He stood staring at her, unsure what to do as she walked away.

"Tal?"

She span on her heels as her tears fell and her voice shook.

"That's what today was then?"

His eyes dropped again as he ran his hands over his face, sighing.

"You didn't want me to go on a mission. You didn't want me to go so you lied to me Steve." Her voice rose to a shout as he stood there staring at the floor, his silence only adding to her fury. "Are you fucking kidding me? Jesus. I'm so fucking stupid. Here I was thinking you trusted me. And that you couldn't lie to me." She laughed bitterly as she wiped her tears from her cheeks and Steve stepped towards her. She held her hands up. "Don't."

"It wasn't like that Tal, please. Just - just hear me out before you get mad, okay?" He took another step towards her, placing his hands on her shoulders.